Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 5th 2011, 4:38:43

We are implementing the following changes as the servers reset. Please note that all of these changes will apply to the Alliance server, but they may not show up ingame until we're a few days into the new round.

-Fascism gets +15% bonus category effectiveness.
-Government switches now detract from bonuses.
-The cost and benefit of the decay bonus has changed from 6 points for -2.5% to 5 points for -1.3%.

Examples:

If a non-fascist spends 64 points in the building cost category, it will achieve a 10% reduction in building costs. If a fascist spends 64 points in the building cost category, it will achieve a 11.5% reduction in building costs.

If a country has a 50% reduction in building costs before switching to another government at a 14% switching penalty, it will have roughly a roughly 43% reduction in building costs after the switch.

It now takes significantly longer for countries to "max" the decay bonus.

Edited By: qzjul on Sep 3rd 2013, 21:12:40
See Original Post

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 5th 2011, 6:49:59

Is the Fascist bonus permanent? If you spend 64 points as Fascist like in the example above to get 11.5% and then lose 14% in a government switch, would you have 8.6% or 9.89%?

Also, how does the Fascist bonus work with bonus turns?

hanlong Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 7:01:46

What tert says.

Any reason why the bonus system nerf? A lot of people get the short term ones already, it will make those even stronger
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

koonfasa

Aug 5th 2011, 7:44:52

Are 12 and 18hr turns a part of the bonus system?

Edited By: koonfasa on Aug 5th 2011, 7:47:56. Reason: crap, I messed up...
See Original Post

Z Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 8:36:53

now if we can all get the mmorpg button to work correctly for us, so that we all have a fair go at it!

crag Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 9:41:30

where is the facebook dislike button?
crag
TIE President

bakku Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 10:28:52

i'm fine with the decay bonus change. like highrock, i felt it was overly powerful for techers.

however, i think the gov't switch detraction is unnecessary as it really only nerfs decay even further w/o affecting the permanent bonuses very much. it also makes turns/booms much stronger

building cost - shouldn't be used by any strats anyway
defense - useless for netting
luck - by the time you're considering a gov't switch the detraction penalty isn't a big deal
expenses - only useful for CI's who never switch gov'ts anyway
pm regen - you shouldn't be getting this until you're about to destock and you'll have already switched to your destocking gov't

the reason i think the nerfs in conjunction with each other are too harsh on decay is because it's only useful if you get it to 100% while all the other permanent bonuses are useful each time you get them.

with weekly forum posting, it'd take just over 39 days to max decay with the new decay nerf which will make it barely feasible. however, if you throw a government change in there it would take probably close to 45 days to max decay which will make it pretty much useless imo

diez Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 11:05:03

Agreed with bakku and highrock... old decay bonus was too powerful for techers.

and to be fair, it is hard to balance the needs of all server. This is not all about the alliance server, this is also about primary, tourney, FFA, express, and team.

building cost - might be usable in FFA
defense - good for warring :p
pm regen - full set TMBRs need this one badly :p

bakku Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 11:11:20

true diez, but decay is already useless in tourney/express/team for sure. i also don't think i'd use it in primary. dunno about FFA

Forgotten

Aug 5th 2011, 12:05:59

it requires a special set of skills to be able to multi switch governments and be able to netgain strongly.

i don't get why the change of government switch bonus penalty, it basically removes creativity from the play styles. If someone can go through three government switches and taking two 14% penalties and still end up winning the set, then they should fully deserve it.

this change really penalize players who are creative and able to use every turn to their maximum potential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also on the Fascist bonus addition, is there a specific reason? are there not enough players playing fascist?

i am so confused... but then again Slagpit won't read my posts anyways because all he thinks about is that I'm against him.....

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

BobbyATA Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 12:58:07

I have been arguing that the decay bonus encourages risky gameplay that puts everyones fun more at risk b/c of the increased potential of suiciders. I'm glad to see this change

UBer Bu Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 13:51:52

edit: This is the wrong place to ask!

Edited By: UBer Bu on Aug 5th 2011, 14:42:46
See Original Post
-take off every sig.

Atryn Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 15:04:19

Conceptually I'm a bit clueless on why Fascism... It doesn't sound like it has any "thematic" tie-in to a "Fascist" government style (they get more bonuses???)

Also, I think it adds too much complexity to what has been a fairly simple system. (percentages compounded, plus gov't changes, etc.)

I agree with the question from Forgotten -- was there a reason Fascism needed a new bonus?

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 5th 2011, 15:19:48

to answer a handful of these questions:
- I think the Fasc bonus will only apply to ongoing bonuses, not consumable bonuses, and obviously it won't apply to the GDI one either. That's a binary state.
- You'd lose 14% of the points you have spent to buy the bonuses, moving you back to that previous level. I'm not sure of the exact math.

the bonuses were all new in the first place, consider this a chance to find a new equilibrium point :p
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Rednose Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 15:24:48

so, how does the fasc bonus work on the one-time bonuses? do they get stronger boosts? I can't really see how it would work on the turns, though.

Lobo Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 15:25:36

are all changes updated in the wiki as well as being posted here?
For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack
The only real progress lies in learning to be wrong all alone. ~Albert Camus

Original SANCT...

Chaoswind Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 16:04:18

hmmmmm

I don't mind the decay nerf (I do, but meh)

but why lose bonus points to government switches?

I agree with Forgotten switching more than 2 times and ending high requires skill, if bonus points will also be lost then that will encourage stale game play with 0 switches.

Elysium Lord of fluff
PDM Lord of fluff
Flamey = Fatty
Crazymatt is Fatty 2

Havoc Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 19:03:15

bit concerned this will make decay nearly useless..

also, are these applying to the current FFA set?
Havoc
Unholy Monks | The Omega

BobbyATA Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 19:32:51

I can't wait to play my 1.15 bonus turns=)...

General Earl Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 22:41:12

Havoc, first line of the message:
Originally posted by Slagpit:
We are implementing the following changes as the servers reset. Please note that all of these changes will apply to the Alliance server, but they may not show up ingame until we're a few days into the new round.
General Earl
----
Every time I read AT: http://i.imgur.com/jeryjn8.gif
︻╦╤─✮ ┄ ┄ RatttaTaatataatat!

synoder Game profile

Aug 5th 2011, 23:10:37

so thats a no? ;)

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 6th 2011, 1:35:12

They will apply to FFA beginning in round 11 of that server. As Pang said, the fascist boost does not apply to consumable bonuses like turns or increased income.

Forgotten

Aug 6th 2011, 3:01:58

if Fascism has this bonus, maybe you can lower the cost of FREE GDI for Fascism to 14?

heck, why not just lower costs over all, instead of giving bonus'bonuses.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 6th 2011, 8:04:37

with this change the bonus providers really need to be fixed

at a minimum there should be an option to change the reminder to ignore the one that doesnt work or only trigger when 2 are available

but the other problem is if they arnt fixed then people who cant get the 2 points are way behind, so much so that its gone from something which was a pain to get to something which might not be worth trying for

1.3/5=.26
100/.26=384.6153846153846
385/8=48.125
385/6=64.16666666666667

adjusted for weekly bonuses

45.125 days @8
60.166 days @6

originally i thought it was 1.5% per purchase but i just realised its 1.3%

this is a massive difference because its basically a bonus which is binary in utility like pang describes GDI

ok i see slag edited the value, was this the original aim or is this another change?

It could be worse.
[Garbage creature growls]
It's worse.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 6th 2011, 8:35:45

wouldnt hurt to change the thread title to make it clearer that youve changed the value and put a note in the body of the text

also you should refund all points spent on decay already if it was showing 1.5% in game but only giving 1.3% or anything like that

bakku Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 8:37:37

huh, decay nerf changed from 1.5% to 1.3%? is there a reason it was nerfed even further? it's unusable now.

and like forgotten said, the government switch detraction punishes players for trying to play creative strats (changing governments a bunch of times during a set is already a disadvantage).

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 6th 2011, 8:40:03

did the first change or both of them go through the change committee thingy?

locket Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 8:46:51

Doesn't this make decay almost worthless.. day 39ish you can get it at earliers... plus people miss points... so what day 42-44... food was at 38-39 at that point last set so there wont be a benefit to an early stock sell...amongst other things...

koonfasa

Aug 6th 2011, 12:52:16

I think so. Already played with it in action, and I just lump it with the rest of my expenses.

Edited By: koonfasa on Aug 6th 2011, 12:56:01. Reason: But you know,
See Original Post

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 6th 2011, 12:57:20

what caps removed?

if its the 100% cap on decay expenses building costs and so on that would be good, although you can only hit 100 decay it would be better to code it so you can go over all

that way if you want to go up to 120% then lose 20% in a switch and be at 96% you should be allowed to

hanlong Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 13:03:54

wow slagpit swung the nerfbat harder on decay
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Rockman Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 16:10:22

If you're going to nerf decay that badly, you might as well just take it out completely.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 6th 2011, 16:51:32

I am not going to apologize for nerfing something that led to an extra 25-75 M NW for the countries who used it and had negative consequences for the rest of the server. If you aren't creative enough to use the decay bonus in its current form, then simply don't use it.

Rockman Game profile

Aug 6th 2011, 17:44:02

Its not about creativity, its about the extreme unlikelihood of market conditions which would make decay superior to turns for a techer.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 7th 2011, 0:10:00

it would be better to put a cap on decay below 100 and increase the value per bonus point

or increase the 2b break point by an amount for every point or % of decay

or both

much easier to balance and more elegant that way

if you want lame solutions then why not increase private sell prices based on asps over all previous sets with a weight to the most recent sets to force a food peak

or deliberately put in a lot of food buying bots and not very many food selling bots because you think food should be higher

koonfasa

Aug 7th 2011, 0:10:40

You think 75mil was made from decay? I would have thought it was the removal of the $2bil cap that did it. The decay just helps.
It's letting players stock up even more (later and holding onto it) to offload when they choose to, and reducing the need to buy off the market (providing other strats with income and decreasing market fluctuations).

wait is corruption and decay the same thing?

Edited By: koonfasa on Aug 7th 2011, 0:15:34. Reason: And.
See Original Post

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 7th 2011, 0:49:04

Resource Decay 0% -2.5% 6 1

copy paste from alliance ingame

your saying its not showing up ingame for up to a few days but anyone who bought points when they thought it was 1.5 instead of 1.3 should be refunded because the date at which you can hit 100% changed so much

hanlong Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 0:35:06

i like the intent of the changes for decay. i can understand what the intent of it was far and it was probably used in the wrong way.

most of the other bonuses give a small boost in nw and not a major one (so you don't win/lose based on the bonuses). decay was the only one that was capable of assisting players more.

i liked rockman's idea (that i read somewhere else) of changing decay so there's a cap in cash on hand where you can help in decay and decay points instead raise that cap instead of outright allowing 100% of all goods decay without a cap when you get there.
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Mr.Silver

Aug 8th 2011, 1:32:27

I agree with Enshula on the refund the bonus points rather than crediting One bonus point and giving them 1.3 instead of 2.5.

It's like false advertising with a after purchase bait and switch for those that didn't see this thread first heh.

BobbyATA Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 1:45:28

its like an adjustable rate mortage, and Slagpit just reset interest payments to 15% annual:P

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 8th 2011, 4:42:48

This is now implemented. Please note that a few other minor changes were made as well and that express will be keeping the old rules for now.

Please immediately post any bugs that you find.

bakku Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 4:55:52

Originally posted by Slagpit:
This is now implemented. Please note that a few other minor changes were made as well and that express will be keeping the old rules for now.

Please immediately post any bugs that you find.

other minor changes?

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 8th 2011, 4:58:37

We adjusted the costs of all of the "permanent" bonuses to 8 points to make it easier to vary bonus effects by server. We also reduced the cost of a boom event to 3 points, but they must be bought in pairs.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 8th 2011, 7:51:07

they look like more than minor changes to me

or are some of the values wrong?

theres pretty big percentage changes in effectiveness

seems like something which should have its own announcement

hanlong Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 9:37:07

so many changes :P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 8th 2011, 12:34:20

It's just rounding.

Dragonlance Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 12:36:00

hey slag, just a couple of quick questions.

1.) with regards to the fascist bonus, if i put in 50% building reduction costs as a republic, then switch to fascist government, will that then equate to me having 43% or to me having %50.58 (rounded appropriatly of course)? The same way other government bonuses/penalties work?

Then obviously after that i would gain +15% effectiveness on all new bonuses earned as well.

I assume this is how it works but just checking in case.

Dragonlance Game profile

Aug 8th 2011, 12:36:15

by a couple i meant 1 question....

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 8th 2011, 12:52:06

you couldnt round to .05?

because .3 would be closer than .4 is, and .35 would have been closer still

it looks to me like you treated expenses and luck completely differently for no obvious reason

one is rounded down for a smaller nerf, and the other is rounded up for a bigger buff

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Aug 8th 2011, 12:59:15

You would end up with approximately 50% because the fascist bonus applies to any points that you've already spent.

I also use my own special version of rounding.