Verified:

KingKaosKnows

Mar 8th 2012, 15:23:38

Think of it like the market, land traders = less bottomfeeders

Less competition for targets = higher networth finish for bottomfeeders as their targets are nicer.

Why this game should be about exploring or raping little girls?

Land trading can easily be nerfed by increasing Ghost Acres DR to 48 hours periods instead of 24 hours, that will force people to look for several targets and not just stick with one of them.

Wharfed

Mar 8th 2012, 16:05:31

I know All-X guys that have switched to psuedo land trading strats. So... not really much for less bottomfeeders, but actually more land traders.
>Wharfed

ABOYNE (vb.) To beat an expert at a game of skill by playing so appallingly bad that none of his clever tactics or strategies are of any use to him.

Mr Snow

Mar 8th 2012, 17:23:50

A couple points.

Why is bottomfeeding considered such an honorable path to netting? I've done it a few times, and to be honest, I felt pathetic afterward. And yes, much more pathetic than I do landtrading. Oddly, I felt the least pathetic doing all-x. :)

The reason we're not going apefluff with landtrading is because of the community uproar. We realize you think we're poor netters, and once the cool kids get ahold of the strat and 'really show us how to do it' that someone could get 4 or 500mil nw. Did we want to do that right away? No. Look at all the whining from both netters and warrers alike. Could we have done this more efficiently, more organized, and more driven toward a huge nw? Of course.

I'd say wait until somebody actually uses landtrading near it's fullest in Alliance before nerfing it.

Oh, and THE HORROR of RD and PDM being friends. NOBODY should be friends with RD ever again. And I find it hilarious that anybody in LAF would ever talk negatively about RD.

Abusing game mechanics as fluffed up as running multies? I should've stopped reading your post there, as you completely invalidated yourself from posting in this thread any more. Abusing game mechanics is all anybody does, as soon as they are community-accepted. What do you call camping DRs? What do you call dropping land in a war to increase tech levels? Derrrrr.

hanlong Game profile

Mar 8th 2012, 17:29:55

don't get too excited about forgotten snow, i disagree with 90% of what forgotten usually says too ;P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Mr Snow

Mar 8th 2012, 18:30:00

This game is one of the only outlets for arguing without much cause for worry. :)

locket Game profile

Mar 8th 2012, 19:28:31

Originally posted by Sir Balin:
"But why should I spend my time bottomfeeding anymore?"

You shouldn't?

So we should all join your netting path. Ok.

Forgotten

Mar 8th 2012, 19:31:12

@Snow

I don't represent LaF, for various really good reasons.

I'm not talking negatively about RD at all actually, I said I find it hilarious, and I just wish Comwood would be here to see it.

Hitting, camping DR, is all part of the game, is it a part that needs fine tuning? Probably, I have advocated for moving the 1/12th networth barrier down to 1/8th, which will help curb some of the bottom feeding. Or even introducing DR type like tiers for networth difference, basically increasing the penalties there is in place now for networth differences.

Land trading needs curbing.

The ability to create multiple accounts IS a game mechanic, some people abuse it, so they are deleted for cheating. It's against the admin's rules, but surely they haven't taken steps as to limiting unique accounts per person. They just decide to spend time on looking for, and removing multies.

Abusing game mechanics can also be from not even running a turn. Early in EE, someone forgot to reset the market, so I happily resold the leftover bushels on the public market till my bankroll was pretty big. I got deleted for that. Was it against game rules? Nope. Was it against any unwritten code? Nope. So why wasn't it allowed?

Because the game admins made a mistake, and they were quick to resolve it.

Land Trading is a result of a game change, one that can be abused. It's now up to the game admins to curb it right, so it doesn't have competitive advantage over any other play styles.

Again, Snow, I don't hate RD, nor was I ever affected by RD during my playing time since the beginning. I really just want to see Comwood's reaction.

~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Mar 8th 2012, 20:12:54

Forgotten, i know any change to landtrading will be put on to FFA server. how do i know?? because i have been fighting against it on the development boards
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

Forgotten

Mar 8th 2012, 20:20:13

It could be different changes as well, maybe you can suggest an alternative on there.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Brink Game profile

Mar 8th 2012, 20:33:41

Originally posted by hanlong:
also i had to carry SDI (to block untags randomly nuking me), tanks (because they would randomly AB), and adequate defense to block their retals. and i did eat tons of missiles and suicide attemps as i bottomfed my way into fatness. there's some sense of randomness and excitement from the untags you camp dr for.

as a landtrader you don't have to worry that your landtrade partner is going to AB or missile you. they are pretty damned predictable. ofc there is more risk than than just hitting your explore button still because of the perceived human interaction involved hence i'm all for it being better than all-x.

Looks like RD caught a random suicider yesterday. To say there is no risk is false. PDM caught suiciders early in the set. Land trading countries don't seem well set up at all.

A bottom feeder is able to use it's resources for defense. A land trader uses it's resources for rebuilding.

A tiny country being bottom fed is virtually zero risk to the giant attacker. A land trader can be wrecked by a suicider that comes out of nowhere.

hanlong Game profile

Mar 8th 2012, 20:43:14

brink: i also got suicided by random suiciders while bottomfeeding from guys i didnt even hit before.

i dont think its any different.

again i never said there's no risk. random suiciders always happens to everyone.

i'm just saying on top of that a bottomfeeder has to worry about the guy he is grabbing suiciding back, which is what landtraders don't have to worry about

again as i said many many times... more risk bottomfeeding, not no risk landtrading. :P
Don Hanlong
Don of La Famiglia

Forgotten

Mar 8th 2012, 21:08:28

a 3k country getting farmed every day, could stock for 4 weeks, and then go on a rampage.

Do land traders have that risk?

I don't think so.
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator

Mar 8th 2012, 21:15:17

Forgotten, been there , tried that.

They don't seem to care to listen to the leader of the largest landtrading alliance in ffa, about the affects of their proposed change on a server none of them play
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

Brink Game profile

Mar 8th 2012, 21:17:58

Hanlong, I can live with that. The land trading thing is interesting. I'm playing over in tourney, and trying to figure out a reasonable way to land trade in game A? The issue a see is that if you were to land trade, there are no pacts to provide some level of protection. I don't see how you could add a bunch of acres and keep rebuilding the same acres over and over and have any defense to stop other attackers.

I will admit I am partial to RD as when I was coming back I just wanted a place to post and ask questions about strategy. When LCN turned me down (one of their rules is that you have to run a country in alliance to have access to the LCN site), Chump gave me access to chat about strategy and ask questions.

So I have been watching their progress, and it's pretty amazing. 4 set ago, there were a handful of members, and maybe close to packing it in. Now there are dozens, and they have won average land for 3 straight sets and average net for the last 2.

It's certainly not the RD of old. Then again, if it were, there wouldn't be any real discussion about wether they can net or not. The hundreds of former RD Colors were among the greatest netters this game has ever seen. Some old Colors have come back due to the evilness that is Facebook. In a set or two when some of these guys re-remember the small details of top end game play, many in the community will be caught off guard.

There is a ton of unfair criticism in this thread directed at RD. I see first hand the positive moves they are making.

Anyway, this Land trading thing is quite interesting. Now to figure out how to apply it to tourney.

Forgotten

Mar 8th 2012, 21:23:00

Originally posted by Warster:
Forgotten, been there , tried that.

They don't seem to care to listen to the leader of the largest landtrading alliance in ffa, about the affects of their proposed change on a server none of them play

Then maybe you have too much bias into the issue because it does affect your alliance the most?
~LaF's Retired Janitor~

Warster Game profile

Game Moderator

Mar 8th 2012, 21:26:36

Their proposed change actually makes it better for my alliance
FFA- TKO Leader
Alliance- Monsters

MSN
ICQ 28629332

grimjoww Game profile

Mar 9th 2012, 6:29:06