Verified:

Mystic Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 16:25:35

Seriously. Old Earth:2025 I'd attack people from around the middle of the set. One or two attacks, then never again. Just, you know, playing a multiplayer game.

Last set I made a mistake and attacked a guy again like 5 days later, I guess I forgot his name/number or whatever. He suicides into me.

This set I'm keeping a list of people I've attacked so I don't do it again, fair enough. I attack one guy, and he spends all of his turns destroying my buildings. That doesn't seem like a fair retal? Mostly because, what does *he* gain from doing that? I recovered in one day, but that's still one day of stuff I miss out on.

It seems like people aren't really interested in doing well in the *game* itself. Just pissing everyone else off.

I don't get this game anymore. It's no fun to be peaceful - no games are.

snawdog Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 16:39:10

It seems to be happening on all the servers Mystic, it is getting to where everyone wants to 'Netgain' only and if you dare grab someone you may very well end up with a suicidal nut on your hands.
For some reason or the other people have forgotten that this was meant to be a war game first..
ICQ 364553524
msn

Detmer Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 16:45:16

I respect his ability to AB as a deterrant... but in tourney I aim to grab a country at most 3 hits at a time and not more often than every two weeks.

I don't know if that is standard though.

Mrredmanbhs Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 18:05:19

Sounds like a moron to me. I got tapped 5 times by one guy over 3 days...even gave the benefit of the doubt to him that it was a mistake after 3. 5 was to much. Sent 2 nukes his way with a message encouraging him to move on. We'll see what happens.

I've actually changed strats after the last 6 months of being a netter started to get bored with it so i'm changing to an offensive strat. try to make it more interesting.
-MrRedManbhs

llaar Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 21:20:45

this set, i retalled 6:3 and 3:2 for those that hit me so far this set... i try to stick to normal retalling, and send friendly retal messages

back in the day in tourny when i grabbed i would send sorry i grabbed you messages, and would try to meet players. i started off playing tourny for a year (2002) before any clan servers, its how i met quite a few people at first.

all depends on how you want to play the game.

some people will AB you for a single hit, and they sure can if they want to.

i personally play massive commie indy and usually either very agressive or highly defensive, or i do a low land all-x techer that doesnt look appetizing at all to grab... in order to do well in this server.

the more aggressive you are, the higher the risk of pissing someone off

Viceroy Game profile

Jul 16th 2010, 21:54:20

Originally posted by Mystic:
It's no fun to be peaceful - no games are.

I think I've misunderstood your post. Either that or you are being hypocritical.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Mystic Game profile

Jul 17th 2010, 12:56:00

Losing buildings I suppose is a fair retal, although it seems a little weird to see 30-40 messages about it when they aren't gaining anything from it. Just a couple hits to deter further attacks (even though I wasn't going to attack again of course) would seem a better course of action.

Suiciding though just wastes everyone's time.

Viceroy I was saying that one of the major points of playing games (of all types and genres) is to compete with others. Multiplayer games especially are often fun because of the ability to affect other players. If everyone's just going to test a strategy that involves at most selling things to other players, there's no fun in the game.

It'd be like taking scissors away from rock paper scissors.

lss

Jul 17th 2010, 15:21:03

I just got crippled by a country that i have never attacked. seriously with only 60ish players it would be really hard not to attack the same ppl.

oh well part of the game is figuring out how to recover from devastation. lets see where i end up at the end of this set.

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Jul 17th 2010, 17:14:34

Some of us make up out own rules as we goes,
it seems to vary in proportion to how much we have been drinking.
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Dark TwizTid

Patron

Jul 18th 2010, 9:48:55

I have learned, if you can't beat them, join them :D

I find it stupid that I say that, but even I have been screwed in tourney and express for no means at all, when I netain(try to netgain) I dont grab, I do an all x strat, and login to ABs, missiles, and all that other crap.

You just gotta learn to stick to it, or do it back, after all this game enables you to use ABs for a reason. Back when this game first started im sure thats all people did, AB each other, send nukes and chems back and forth, that was why this game was pretty much made.

Now you got all this policies, landgrabbing rules, retal rules crap going on. At least these "suiciders" are playing the game and using all of its abilities.

Servant Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 18th 2010, 18:47:26

Some of my funnest experiences were taking out as many of the top 10 as I could in a low rung of the tourney.

but that was years and years and years ago probabluy almost 10 now
Z is #1

Mystic Game profile

Jul 19th 2010, 21:05:48

Originally posted by Dark TwizTid:
Now you got all this policies, landgrabbing rules, retal rules crap going on. At least these "suiciders" are playing the game and using all of its abilities.

Fair enough argument. The only problem is that it's very easy to grief because you've got nothing to lose / you can just restart next set. Other web games with longer (or infinite) set times have fewer people using up so much time just griefing. But I see your point.

Maybe next time I'll just completely wreck the guy. After all, I broke through his defenses once or twice, huh?

OGT Game profile

Jul 19th 2010, 22:32:35

i farmed the crap outa pdm, rof, and untags in ec.. its possible but you gotta pick your spots and understand that once you hit someone they are gonna try to hurt you back.. if you have a good defense with lots of military and sdi tech you can hit and come out ahead everytime.

mrford Game profile

Jul 20th 2010, 2:00:45

Don't grab someone who can suicide you?

Grabbing a tank heavy country never has been a good idea
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Elvish Magi

Jul 20th 2010, 12:40:03

I think Llaar makes a good point about the "Sorry, just a land grab" messages. Such messages seem to have gone out of fashion, but I'm sure they did lower the chances of people suiciding etc.

I used to make a point in saying that I would try not to hit them again, and if I could help them let me know - the responses were nearly always positive rather than logging back into a parking lot.

"Politics" isn't always about huge alliances making rules and pacts between each other - how you communicate with individual players can be just as important.
MSN:
AIM: ElvMagi

azmodii Game profile

Jul 21st 2010, 6:47:38

^^ Too right. I made that mistake last set. OOP double taps.. A big no no. I had 3 people turn me into a parking lot.

Etiquite is not about 6:3 or Kill for X attacks. Its about being polite. Goes a lot further than being defence heavy. People can still lem you down :D
- EoEA ~ End Of Earth Alliance -

"I will slaughter them like a wolf among lambs! The rivers will run red with the blood of my enemies, the skies will rain fire! And when the land parts beneath them... I shall be the in emptiness waiting!"

jedioda Game profile

Jul 22nd 2010, 14:04:25

This reset I made a few grabs (may be 10 PS), never on the same player ...
and I think no one tried a retal

Dragon Game profile

Jul 22nd 2010, 23:30:10

Originally posted by Elvish Magi:
I think Llaar makes a good point about the "Sorry, just a land grab" messages. Such messages seem to have gone out of fashion, but I'm sure they did lower the chances of people suiciding etc.

I used to make a point in saying that I would try not to hit them again, and if I could help them let me know - the responses were nearly always positive rather than logging back into a parking lot.

"Politics" isn't always about huge alliances making rules and pacts between each other - how you communicate with individual players can be just as important.

That's all well and good so long as you take a single grab and move along. Double, triple (or worse) taps won't keep you out of the hornet's nest with a polite message.

Elvish Magi

Jul 23rd 2010, 9:41:19

Of course... if people want to be an idiot about their grabbing then they deserve the response they get.
MSN:
AIM: ElvMagi

diez Game profile

Jul 28th 2010, 5:28:46

If you grab, do a single tap. Some people will go as far as they can to destroy your country for a double-tap.

santti Game profile

Aug 5th 2010, 11:51:50

Well.
I started again the tournee and somebody did several GS against me at the day when I came out of protection... Nothing really happened, I lost some bushels and civs, but they really ment anything at this part of game, but I guess I have target for whole reset ;)
SanttiE is here again!

diez Game profile

Aug 5th 2010, 12:58:36

Lol, gses won't hurt you (unless you're a casher), they will keep you in DR instead, you should be thankful to that guy :D

Mystic Game profile

Aug 9th 2010, 12:50:58

Basically I've come to the conclusion that everything is pretty messed up, at least in my opinion.

It probably mostly stems from the low amount of players on the server though, so I hope that when the increase (from Facebook?) comes, most of this is "fixed" so to speak.

But seriously, don't get so pissy when you get hit, I think. If someone randomly hits you three or four (or twenty) times, okay that sucks. But once or twice (especially spread out over a period of days) is nothing to completely lose your cool at, I'd say.

At this rate, eventually no one is going to attack ever, and then we have a single player game with a scoreboard (which I don't want to play, but admittedly I suppose some would)

Vic Rattlehead Game profile

Aug 31st 2010, 13:29:58

I am going to run a grab crazy dict in tourney. I should keep some suiciders off everyone else's back for a while. I think this will be fun. :)
NA hFA
gchat:
yahoo chat:

available 24/7

soonertuff Game profile

Mar 4th 2011, 5:10:33

I need points so here's my post

snawdog Game profile

Mar 5th 2011, 2:39:21

I have tried all-x and have tried mild grabbing,EVERY set i get suicided or farmed..So i have actually started playing with the knowledge that someone will gank my set,soooo..
Anything over 2 grabs and i find a way to ruin that persons set.
ICQ 364553524
msn

Deerhunter Game profile

Mar 6th 2011, 17:59:51

If someone grabs you one time- retal with 3 grabs and nukes/chems. If they grab you 2x or more- AB them to dirt and destroy their set. Its the only way to be safe from further grabs.
Ya, tho i walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no retals,
Cause i have the biggest, baddest, and toughest country in the valley!

SakitSaPuwit Game profile

Mar 15th 2011, 14:52:09

I think it is time to realize that the game is changing, and that some of the rebels don't care if you land grabbed them or not, they just enjoy messing with you.

A high NW might be how you think you win the game, but some of us have other ideas on what the End Game is.
but what do i know?
I only play this game for fun!

Dopplegangah Game profile

Mar 15th 2011, 17:18:04

I usually try to nuke myself before anybody else can beat me to it

paulie Game profile

Mar 16th 2011, 19:23:54

lmao.. do u win with that idea
FOG!!

JJosh Game profile

Mar 16th 2011, 19:29:23

Damn, now the winning nuke secret is out!! :_)
lolZ

wiki folks

Edited By: JJosh on Mar 16th 2011, 19:36:19. Reason: mispell der der
See Original Post
FFA ~ Ares
Alliance ~ SoL
#JJosh on your server

Slecht Game profile

Mar 18th 2011, 15:18:15

hehe :) ..