Nov 28th 2019, 22:33:27
The base tech start, with the 25 acre explores that started declining at about 1100 acres, used to look something like;
3.60 more cs
4.explore and build up to 1k labs
5.tech about 100 turns
6.switch to casher or farmer
With the 45 acre base explore you dont need to get high techs as fast and exploring is quite efficient, and because most servers are longer now as well higher acreages are usually used for these tech phases, so something decent, but by no means optimal, might look something like:
2. ~1000 farms(or a total of 1000 farms/ICs) and 60 more CS, while taking care to allow pop to catch up with your acres by building CS
3.explore and build labs until you are 1900 acres anf fully built
4. batch explore 60 turns(it will cut you off after about 35-45 turns depending on govt)
5. build up your empty acres with Labs
6. destroy your farms/indies and replace them with labs
7. tech 200 turns
8. switch to casher or farmer
Some people do tech starts for indy and you can do that too. It's lazy and inefficient but it doesn't really matter in most servers so people get away with it. The reason you dont need it for indy is that indy has really solid income at 0 tech, so they can easily grow at full speed and still max their techs kinda early without being underdefended at any point.
If you are doing a theo tech start you will want to sell on the public market and probably use ICs rather than farms, if you are a republic you can usually get away with far fewer income buildings to get the necessary money to build up all your labs because of the PCI advantage.
Tech starts give you good income early and allows you to never look like a good target, but they are turn inefficient.