Verified:

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 19:50:18

Now again we explain as if I'm in the ninth grade.

Why/how does salt in water lower the freezing point and increase the boiling point?

What is going on?

DruncK Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 20:17:36

You got me into Google and fun fact, salt also raises the boiling temperature of water too?!

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 20:29:57

Chemistry <3
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 20:36:05

The water molecules need more energy to produce enough pressure to escape the boundary of the liquid.. or some fluff some nerd told me at work.. lol

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 21:01:40

If only I knew somebody from the fluffing usgs

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 21:12:34

In lamens terms, the boiling point of NaCl is about 3000 degrees Fahrenheit. When you add that to water it raises the boiling point because those atoms with an extremely high boing point attach themselves to existing atoms, thus raising thw overall temp it takes to boil. This occurs any time a solute is added to a solvent and both are stable atoms.

And now, SCIENCE!

When you add salt to water, sodium chloride dissociates into sodium and chlorine ions. These charged particles alter the intermolecular forces between water molecules.

In addition to affecting the hydrogen bonding between water molecules, there is an ion-dipole interaction to consider: Every water molecule is a dipole, which means one side (the oxygen side) is more negative and the other side (the hydrogen side) is more positive. The positively charged sodium ions align with the oxygen side of a water molecule, while the negatively charged chlorine ions align with the hydrogen side. The ion-dipole interaction is stronger than the hydrogen bonding between the water molecules, so more energy is needed to move water away from the ions and into the vapor phase.

Even without a charged solute, adding particles to water raises the boiling point because part of the pressure the solution exerts on the atmosphere now comes from solute particles, not just solvent (water) molecules. The water molecules need more energy to produce enough pressure to escape the boundary of the liquid. The more salt (or any solute) added to water, the more you raise the boiling point. The phenomenon depends on the number of particles formed in the solution.

Freezing point depression is another colligative property that works the same way: If you add salt to water, you lower its freezing point as well as raise its boiling point.

HEMPMAN1 Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 21:19:29

^^^
What he said..

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 21:45:23

Would sugar water then freeze and boil differently?

(I do know solute+solvent=solution!) But you say any particles, so if I were to add like beach sand it would change the required temperatures?

In lay layman's terms if boil = clean then I have to do the dishes and it'll take me 10 minutes but if I also have to vacuum I add another process and it'll take me twenty minutes?

I forgot that we explain it to a fifth grader not a ninth grader..

(But also thank you Derrick that was fun and thank you for immediately explaining a dipole ;p)

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 22:29:45

Yeah. So long as your solvent doesnt ionize and create more particles or become volatile from a chemical reaction, it will always raise the boling point and lower the freezing point.

Beach sand wouldn't dissolve into the water and thus would only raise the boiling point as much as the salts that do dissolve.

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 22:30:30

TL:DR
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 22:39:52

Originally posted by braden:
In lay layman's terms if boil = clean then I have to do the dishes and it'll take me 10 minutes but if I also have to vacuum I add another process and it'll take me twenty minutes?

Think of it more like itll take you twenty minutes to do the dishes if you have 20 pound weights attached to each arm. Just tougher to move around with extra fluff attached.

Some solutes can cause ionization tho where the solvent has atoms replicate which is sort of like cloning yourself to get the dishes done in 5 mins, but that's a chemical reaction and kinda not the same thing as a dissolved solute.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Jan 29th 2020, 22:43:18
See Original Post

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 22:44:47

Sand cant dissolve becsuse it is carbon and can't be broken down?

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 22:45:32

Or silicate which is carbon.. ?

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 22:51:45

Yeah and polarity. SiO2 isn't a polar molecule. Water can only seperate polar particles.

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 22:56:12

Originally posted by DerrickICN:
Yeah and polarity. SiO2 isn't a polar molecule. Water can only seperate polar particles.

Again, but to a fifth grader?

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 23:10:51

Rather than seperation into positive and negative like you see in NaCl, SiO2 is a crystal rather than a molecule. It won't break into a positive and negative side in water like other dipoles.

So you'd see it either go left (which is to say form a crystal with the bond which doesnt happen due to hydrogen being more attracted to negative oxygen than o2 or Si) or go right (become surrounded by them) but remain as a whole particle. Particles that dont break their bonds just suspend in the solvent.

Since the whole compound is less attractive to either side of the dipole than other water molecules itself, the more dense compound will eventually just sink and seperate rather than break down covalent bonds.

When molecules share electrons equally in a covalent bond there is no net electrical charge across the molecule and therefore no attraction to positive or negative charges.

Ie h2 or o2 or whatever. Any noble gasses. Anything like that isnt charged.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Jan 29th 2020, 23:27:11
See Original Post

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 23:19:11

Ok so quick change of pace here..

If I boil sea water I can't drink it becsuse salt water kills me (heh if the rye don't get there first, son) but I can boil sea water and capture the evaporation which is fresh water and drink that as what is evaporated is unsalted water..?

What happens to the salt? My pot has rock salt at the bottom of my metal pot?

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 23:19:48

Speaking of 5th graders... where's $150k punctuation fail? I haven't seen him post in a while...
(•_•)

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 23:20:19

There was a reason perkster liked you so much..

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 23:26:38

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 29th 2020, 23:31:40

Originally posted by braden:
Ok so quick change of pace here..

If I boil sea water I can't drink it becsuse salt water kills me (heh if the rye don't get there first, son) but I can boil sea water and capture the evaporation which is fresh water and drink that as what is evaporated is unsalted water..?

What happens to the salt? My pot has rock salt at the bottom of my metal pot?

Technically yes. As the water molecules vaporize they lose their bonds with the NaCl. The salt will just increase concentration in the water until there are no more water molecules to attach to, and then the only molucules left will be NaCl and will reattch on polarity.

As the last drops of liquid boil off, you'll have a dry empty pan with all the salt.

That's actually how to make sea salt...you boil about 90% of the water out and it looks like sandy ish. Then slowly naturally evaporate the rest and viola. Sea salt. Yields 1 cup per gallon.

Edited By: DerrickICN on Jan 29th 2020, 23:36:28
See Original Post

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 23:42:15

And I get ms vickies kettle cooked chips.

So if I want to cook noodles quickly I don't add salt! Ha date night here I come ! fluff wait.. I missed it..

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 23:42:49

It's funny because the joke is I ate alone and never had a date.. wow.. sad much?

braden Game profile

Jan 29th 2020, 23:43:29

Whiskey.

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 30th 2020, 0:19:29

Lol.

Yeah salt helping time is an old wives tale but the truth is people add salt to make fluff taste better. Adding salt once the water is already boiling achieves this quicker tho.

The only way to speed up water boiling is by using a pan with a larger surface area or a lid. But I'm glad youre not obsessing over boiled noodles for a date. That's bachelor food and pairs quite well with being whiskey drunk and not eating all day.

braden Game profile

Jan 30th 2020, 0:25:08

Chicken, green peas, and knolls sidekick noodles is a good meal. The whisky breakfast and lunch might not be but my supper is always.. sometimes.. an actual meal. Maybe not date material bit fluff write what you know; tell me I'm wrong

braden Game profile

Jan 30th 2020, 0:25:08

Chicken, green peas, and knolls sidekick noodles is a good meal. The whisky breakfast and lunch might not be but my supper is always.. sometimes.. an actual meal. Maybe not date material bit fluff write what you know; tell me I'm wrong

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Feb 2nd 2020, 9:49:23

You can speed up boiling by diluting the water with alcohol too. Your eggs will be finished later tho.

You can also get well boiled eggs without ever boiling the water they are in, since protein denaturates fully in eggs some ~50F or ~28C below the boiling temperature of water at normal pressure.

Also it might be interesting to know that boiling water is the same temperature no matter how violently it boils. The heat transfer is faster in violently boiling water tho, which will matter if you want to put someones face in the water as a means to get back at them for microwaving fish at work or something equally sinister. Violently boiling water will heat up the surface faster and therefore cause more severe burns at accidental or purposeful contact between skin and boiling water.
It does not, however, help much with getting your eggs done faster as the resistance to transfer heat into the middle of the egg(which is done last) is almost entirely in the egg.

Cerberus Game profile

EE Patron

Feb 28th 2020, 15:59:58

Because! That's why.
I don't need anger management, people need to stop pissing me off!