Verified:

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2019, 13:48:51

@derrick we should listen more to Robert Malthus.

It is rather simple if there are too many people for the resources, one of those things we do have control over to maintain the correct balance.

macdaddy Game profile

Jan 12th 2019, 14:03:29

Originally posted by smegma:

It is rather simple if there are too many people for the resources, one of those things we do have control over to maintain the correct balance.

if people don't figure out how to manage that then nature will find a way. What do you think global warming is?

The_Hawk

Jan 12th 2019, 16:31:33

The earth has experienced an increase in warming since the ice age ended. It only was kicked into hyperdrive starting with the industrial revolution.

We can reduce our foot print but cannot stop plate tectonics and solar flares.

https://ibb.co/BTF4KkJ
Dev encouraging it

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2019, 17:29:05

Reduce the population by a billion or two and all will be fine.

sinistril Game profile

Jan 12th 2019, 20:26:14

His theory was that population left unchecked grows geometrically while sustenance grows arithmetically, but everything that has happened since he said that has proven him either wrong (industrial revolution, GMO's, women's rights etc) or irrelevant (birth control, on-demand abortions, etc).

Also, Derrick, where do you get that the Marshall Islands will be under water in a decade? I'd love to see a reliable source. That's far higher than even the most flagrant estimates I've seen. As far as whether climate change is bad or not or how bad it is, that's not really a question worth answering before we answer the question of whether we can do anything about it. Smegma's suggestion of Genghis Khanning the world is probably the most pragmatic way to actually do something through government intervention. Else, good luck trying to prevent China, India and the rest of the developing world from ramping up their emissions up to and past western levels. Not gonna happen.
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

macdaddy Game profile

Jan 12th 2019, 21:05:47

Originally posted by sinistril:

His theory was that population left unchecked grows geometrically while sustenance grows arithmetically, but everything that has happened since he said that has proven him either wrong (industrial revolution, GMO's, women's rights etc) or irrelevant (birth control, on-demand abortions, etc).

Also, Derrick, where do you get that the Marshall Islands will be under water in a decade? I'd love to see a reliable source. That's far higher than even the most flagrant estimates I've seen. As far as whether climate change is bad or not or how bad it is, that's not really a question worth answering before we answer the question of whether we can do anything about it. Smegma's suggestion of Genghis Khanning the world is probably the most pragmatic way to actually do something through government intervention. Else, good luck trying to prevent China, India and the rest of the developing world from ramping up their emissions up to and past western levels. Not gonna happen.

Actually India is leading the change against climate change and they are the only country to perform better than the Paris Accord limits. They plan to invest 3.1 trillion worth of investment by 2030 in sectors including renewable energy, green buildings, transport infrastructure, electric vehicles, and climate-smart agriculture. China has done a lot too to clean up their skies and invest in cleaner tech. They are also the worlds largest solar panel producer/user and they have plans to globalize and dominate the electric vehicle industry.. I think they should put stricter controls on population growth as over population is the root cause of high emission.

Edited By: macdaddy on Jan 12th 2019, 21:11:50

sinistril Game profile

Jan 12th 2019, 21:18:28

Originally posted by macdaddy:

Actually India is leading the change against climate change and they are the only country to perform better than the Paris Accord limits. They plan to invest 3.1 trillion worth of investment by 2030 in sectors including renewable energy, green buildings, transport infrastructure, electric vehicles, and climate-smart agriculture. China has done a lot too to clean up their skies and invest in cleaner tech. They are also the worlds largest solar panel producer/user and they have plans to globalize and dominate the electric vehicle industry.. I think they should put stricter controls on population growth though.

And your entire "actually" is completely irrelevant to what I said because you chose not to read the word "emissions".
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 12th 2019, 21:30:36

The main thrust of Malthus is not just the respective rates of growth. But that this will cause governments to step in, war, rationing, population control etc.

Who cares if the Marshall islands or even entire lowland countries like Bangladesh and the Netherlands? More resources left to go around.

sinistril Game profile

Jan 12th 2019, 22:09:46

True, but if the respective rates of growth are not defined as he laid out, then the government has no reason to step in. War is not necessary in times of abundance except for superficial or ideological reasons, nor is rationing, and population control is not necessary if the population naturally controls itself (ie. rich people tend towards less children, birth control, abortions, etc). The rate of innovation in terms of resource allocation has far exceeded population growth in the developed world. The undeveloped world that was left behind in the great divergence could probably benefit from the lessons taught by Malthus a great deal. China tried population control and it was more or less successful (aside from the whole female infanticide thing) but it's not something the west has to worry about.

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 13th 2019, 7:24:29

Not only China, but India was doing forced sterilizations for a while.

If there are not enough resources, things get reined in one way or another.

Karnage XZ

Jan 20th 2019, 9:34:13

I hope you guys are bored from this "war" and you learned your lesson. I can go all the way til the end if I wanted too. Besides what would most of you do in imp it's not like most of you know how to net.
Do as I say, not as I do.

Karnage XZ

Jan 20th 2019, 9:40:17

True, but if the respective rates of growth are not defined as he laid out, then the government has no reason to step in. War is not necessary in times of abundance except for superficial or ideological reasons, nor is rationing, and population control is not necessary if the population naturally controls itself (ie. rich people tend towards less children, birth control, abortions, etc). The rate of innovation in terms of resource allocation has far exceeded population growth in the developed world. The undeveloped world that was left behind in the great divergence could probably benefit from the lessons taught by Malthus a great deal. China tried population control and it was more or less successful (aside from the whole female infanticide thing) but it's not something the west has to worry about.
India's population has boomed up from 1.2B to 1.3B and China's has stayed the same at 1.3B. I believe the reason why China wants Taiwan back is so that it can begin lifting it's 2 children per family rule which is still in effect btw and open Taiwan to a migration from the mainland to create a little more space. Just because you have a lot of lands doesn't make it all livable land. Asians make up about half of the population of the world if not more.

smegma Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 20th 2019, 13:24:25

Originally posted by Karnage XZ:
I hope you guys are bored from this "war" and you learned your lesson. I can go all the way til the end if I wanted too. Besides what would most of you do in imp it's not like most of you know how to net.

Take it up with those damn humanitarians.

Karnage XZ

Jan 20th 2019, 20:09:31

Originally posted by Karnage XZ:

Take it up with those damn humanitarians.
I ask the mods to remove humanitarian range for my string for the rest of the reset in ffa.