Verified:

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 2:10:23

This is also related in part to my thread on oil. It seems that the thing in the game that would most benefit is a more fluid movement of goods/military bought and sold many ideas/tweaks have been either implemented or suggest surrounding this.

My proposed solutions (these are rough concepts that will need tweaking but I'm sure people who understand the game mechanics Will get the train of thought)

1. There is a $x per acre expense cost this is money deleted into oblivion this should be scrapped more cash = inflation and more goods bought off market. Everyone has land everyone benefits equally (yes bigger countries get more $$ but % wise same benefits)

2. Some of the above could be equally balanced into baseline oil costs effect being a more fluid oil. (ie. Exactly the amount that reduced from expenses transferred to an equivalent oil cost)

3. Could increase food requirement by same mechanism, more food bought and sold.

4. Military expenses are deleted from economy can also be used, a small percentage of $$$ here into equivalent/turn food and or oil will drive demand and stop the stagnating off markets.

5. Private market tweaking has big effects to public market and the economy as a whole if you want to cap tech prices set a max private market price for it could also set a min tech price would be a bit out there but could create a private market for it.

6. Private market could change over time to facilitate gave phases. Minimum Military or any good prices could be tied to game clock start rising at around turn 120 peak at turn x then reduce to current. Tied not to players used turns but game global timer. Not so sure about this idea though.

Edited By: Teaspoon on May 2nd 2018, 6:37:55
See Original Post

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 2:22:40

Basically this is a what would happen if countries had a bit more cash without any change to production or giving any advantage to cashers.

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 3:07:22

Important point to note is this. The whole economy of this game hinges on these factors only as far as I can tell.

Everything is tied to the amount of cash put into the system you can change anything you want production wise but if this is low price of all goods and tech price is low and market will be dead.

How it gets there
Positive factors

1. % of people playing cashers, if this is high things work great, market is alive prices are up and endgame nw Will be directly tied to this

2. The amount of goods sold on private market the other big way to drive the economy because it creates $$$ primarily driven by food sold on pm maybe even more generated by cashers

3. Baseline income produced by every country.. quite a lot generated. Tied heavily to exploration and land created by grabbing. But this probably doesn't vary massively from reset to reset.

Negative factors

1. Land tax
2. Military expenses ***if you tried to fix Indy by giving increase production you actually have a whole game negative effect to every strat including ironically the Indy player by creating a reset wide net increase to military expense and throwing $$$ out of the system.

3. Build costs

These are $$$ thrown out of the game system and the wiggle room to move. And has to be you cannot Increae pci cashers will dominate, cannot increase private market food cost... farmers will dominate. You could possibly reduce build costs but changes dynamics more.

Other random factors
Military destruction by warring maybe something else I'm overlooking.

How much $$$ total is produced by all countries throughout the reset. Endgame NW is pretty much just how big of a slice did you manage to get hold of. If you get a big NW in a casher/farmer heavy reset it's not because you were more awesome than someone who didn't in a set where there were less playing these strats.

Edited By: Teaspoon on May 2nd 2018, 6:41:03
See Original Post

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 3:16:06

So actually having thought about this more while writing an awesome improvement is just delete the land expense.

And possibly

If you want more food and oil moving transfer some of the mil expenses into this*** however if you did it with food who knows what happens because maybe less food gets converted to cash via pm OR just slightly reduce mil expenses.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 2nd 2018, 20:51:39

Originally posted by Teaspoon:

1. There is a $x per acre expense cost this is money deleted into oblivion this should be scrapped more cash = inflation and more goods bought off market. Everyone has land everyone benefits equally (yes bigger countries get more $$ but % wise same benefits)

Kindof exists. It costs more to build buildings if you have more land. I don't know what you mean by more goods bought off market though?

2. Some of the above could be equally balanced into baseline oil costs effect being a more fluid oil. (ie. Exactly the amount that reduced from expenses transferred to an equivalent oil cost)

huh?

3. Could increase food requirement by same mechanism, more food bought and sold.

huh?

4. Military expenses are deleted from economy can also be used, a small percentage of $$$ here into equivalent/turn food and or oil will drive demand and stop the stagnating off markets.

huh?

5. Private market tweaking has big effects to public market and the economy as a whole if you want to cap tech prices set a max private market price for it could also set a min tech price would be a bit out there but could create a private market for it.

There is a max private market price....
...and a min tech price...

6. Private market could change over time to facilitate gave phases. Minimum Military or any good prices could be tied to game clock start rising at around turn 120 peak at turn x then reduce to current. Tied not to players used turns but game global timer. Not so sure about this idea though.

What?
Finally did the signature thing.

Marshal Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 21:17:39

6th: i guess random priv prices
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 23:10:54

Originally posted by qzjul:

Kindof exists. It costs more to build buildings if you have more land. I don't know what you mean by more goods bought off market though?

If you look at expenses there is a cost associated with land about $x/acre/turn. This is money taken out of the economy as countries play turns. Build cost is a totally separate thing. If countries have more $$ they spend more buying things on the market.

huh? As above you could rather than just reducing or removing the "land tax" add in baseline oil or increased food consumption to the equivalent amount that the land tax was reduced keeping everything balanced. Eg. Currently 1000 acre country plays a turn pays $x in land tax, instead remove this and country now consumes x oil barrels. So roughly every $100 that was spent on land tax now instead consumes 1 barrel of oil. Or 3 bushels

huh?

huh?
Countries play turns millions go out in military expenses where does the $$ go? Same concept as above

What?

People complain about low military prices if the price you can sell for on the private market is higher then the public price will be higher.... problem is if you raised the sell price on pm of jets/turrets to $100 and just left it that way it might not be a good thing later in the reset... but it might be a good thing early on. So the private market prices could be higher early in the reset and then reduce. It has a lot of leverage to control the public market. Once again if they are too high to early on it would do crazy things to countries starting up.

So.... would a fluctuating private market be more useful to game mechanics than the current static priced one?

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 2nd 2018, 23:30:11

I like some of your suggestions. #3 is not one of them and neither is #6.

Transfering cash cost of acres and military to oil and food demand would require some changes to the game mechanisms tho.

Changing private market prices need to be done very carefully to conserve the easter egg! :P (this is no joke to me, I do get why some would not think its important but look its one of the few things that has been static since maybe the start of the game but at least since 1999 and we can keep it that way while still changing the prices)

Teaspoon Game profile

May 2nd 2018, 23:50:30

Originally posted by Gerdler:
I like some of your suggestions. #3 is not one of them and neither is #6.

Transfering cash cost of acres and military to oil and food demand would require some changes to the game mechanisms tho.

Changing private market prices need to be done very carefully to conserve the easter egg! :P (this is no joke to me, I do get why some would not think its important but look its one of the few things that has been static since maybe the start of the game but at least since 1999 and we can keep it that way while still changing the prices)

Fair point. The private market will be just fine I would think if the main idea I'm advocating was implemented is that just like in real world economy if you want to drive the markets you inject cash. If you want to curb them you withdraw cash.. central banks can do this by sucking cash out or putting it in with interest rates. Governments can do this with taxes and cash injection think GFC.

This game can have it by reducing military expenses and the land tax 😀.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 3rd 2018, 1:25:48

I think you are onto something.

It's not unreasonable either that units, land and allies cost oil. More area means more transports, allies mean goods and military transports to help them, units ofc need oil for running drills and keeping the engines lubricated even when not at war. :)

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 3rd 2018, 13:53:05

In that same line of thinking these half-set long tech starts are killing the market. If everyone just play a techer or a tech-buyer instead there would be much more liquidity on all of the markets.

Teaspoon Game profile

May 3rd 2018, 22:13:30

Passive income as you play turns by reducing land tax and mil expenses means more surplus money early so countries then decide am I now better off growing and putting spare cash (which might be existent now)into tech rather than burning 100's of turns building and tearing down labs and researching.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 3rd 2018, 22:21:56

I dont think the tech start itself is the enemy, but the long ones where a player techs like 250-600 turns for a good portion of the techs he is ever gonna get, that significantly reduces the market liquidity.

Teaspoon Game profile

May 3rd 2018, 22:38:26

Originally posted by Gerdler:
I dont think the tech start itself is the enemy, but the long ones where a player techs like 250-600 turns for a good portion of the techs he is ever gonna get, that significantly reduces the market liquidity.

Simplify it. If you had a 3 country game. Techer, farmer, Indy. The farmer and Indy don't tech start. Everyone puts stuff on the market who can buy it? No-one has cash and its a Mexican stand off except they are all pointing guns at each other with no bullets in them. Stale mate

Teaspoon Game profile

May 3rd 2018, 22:46:11

Add a cashed up casher to the mix and now it's game on. No cash = dead game.

So give countries more cash things work... also will make tech start a little less appealing.

Abolish the land tax its about $10/acre/turn at 100 countries at 1000 acres its putting $1 mil into the game economy every turn.. equivalent of like 2-3 cashers. It's not massive but it will tip the balance I think.

Add to this some reduction of mil expense replaced by passive oil consumption and now you also create some more diversity

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

May 4th 2018, 1:24:16

actually in a game with techer, farmer and indy the farmer and techer will be tax positive and the farmer will sell most his food on the private early on anyways. Farmer is the new casher with these pm food prices. But yes ofc, more cashers mean higher prices overall.

But with this logic abolishing the land cost and reducing the expenses will lead to cashers being worse off.

Issues we got as well is that a whole lot of the military bought especially in war and around endgame is bought on the private markets.

so if any mil unit price should change its troops, and their production should be increased a bit too so that indies are able to fill that extra public market demand to some extent.

Teaspoon Game profile

May 4th 2018, 1:38:16

Cashers will also get the same bonus they will also have more cash on hand. The only downside would be slightly higher market prices because of more money spent by all countries.

Yes totally correct if farmers are selling on PM they are putting cash into the game economy, but if markets are stale it's obviously not enough.

DruncK Game profile

May 4th 2018, 2:48:47

Exchanging military costs for oil consumption is fluffing brilliant.