Verified:

Dark Demon Game profile

Forum Moderator
EE Patron

Jan 30th 2020, 14:12:33

It’s lame when you die you start with 0/0 could at least give a brother 120/120 or something.
Mercs
Natural Born Killers

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jan 31st 2020, 1:54:15

Ya I'm thinking strongly about restoring the restart bonus for next round but making the restart's former country visible on the country info page
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

DruncK Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 1:57:43

No bonus, just turns

sinistril Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 2:39:06

Originally posted by DruncK:
No bonus, just turns
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 31st 2020, 2:55:24

Originally posted by Pang:
Ya I'm thinking strongly about restoring the restart bonus for next round but making the restart's former country visible on the country info page

Tweaking the numbers could help...

Its now 20%+0.06%*defends for non-market and 50%+0.06%*defends for market stuffs. With walling already being overpowered the restart bonus need not exacerbate the problem that much.

How about 20%+0.05%*defends for non-market and 50%+0.03%*defends for market stuffs. Non-wallers would get ever so slightly less than they got before but wallers would get noticeably less.

The arguement that netters got screwed by the restart bonus was valid but the grabbing changes and changes to buildings destructing special attacks have partially amended this issue.

For war the concern with the restart bonus was that wars never end and also that it sometimes felt useless to kill someone since they got so much back that they could be useful right away.
Well the limitations added to grabs and special attacks offer a mechanism to make smaller restarts less useful in some scenarios, thereby amending these issues. Smaller countries, for instance restarts will be less effective at grabbing, killing buildings, killing civs now so theres definatly more value in killing someone even with the old unchanged restart bonus.
I have always thought that the NW modifyer for special attacks is a major culprit that causes wars to never end (tho this can't easily be removed without doing some thorough math and testing).

KoHeartsGPA Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 3:30:02

Originally posted by sinistril:
Originally posted by DruncK:
No bonus, just turns
Mess with me you better kill me, or I'll just take your pride & joy and jack it up
(•_•)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VRMGTwU4I
-=TSO~DKnights~ICD~XI~LaF=-

S.F. Giants 2010, 2012, 2014 World Series Champions, fluff YEAH!

tfm0m0 Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 4:04:19

Gerdler please explain like I'm 5 how walling is overpowered

DruncK Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 5:08:37

This opens up to opportunity for less active people to really make a difference in war. So you can wall, that's good but eventually with enough planning any 1337 waller WILL die in 1a. They don't get cookies for it, they actually die. No one person can win a war anymore with just their country.

Also that griefer will die, and all his resources. No more restart and farm again.

Edited By: DruncK on Jan 31st 2020, 5:11:32
See Original Post

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 31st 2020, 5:30:11

Originally posted by tfm0m0:
Gerdler please explain like I'm 5 how walling is overpowered

Have you ever killed me without a blindside?

Last time I died on this server when I had my highlights on:
https://www.eestats.com/...iance/oldcountry/1476/224

Total defends: 2392 (died)

---

When the war was won with against SOL, Stones, Rage, PDM I sold down my troops to pad my stats and waste some turns from the other side, I was never at any risk because I had highlights and a computer:

https://www.eestats.com/...iance/oldcountry/1758/388
Total defends 1254 (didn't die)
----

Sold down for you guys (SoF & SOL) too when I got back from my vacay this summer. I didnt have to wall I just wanted some fun again:

https://www.eestats.com/...iance/oldcountry/1839/358
Total defends 585 (didn't die)

If you go into history you will see that I played monarchy->tyranny->commie->tyranny->demo->tyranny that set :)

----
Some team fun(v elders):

https://www.eestats.com/team/oldcountry/1420/43

Total defends 2148 (didn't die)

More team fun(vs some 5 TSO tags):
https://www.eestats.com/team/oldcountry/1856/47
Total defends 771 (didn't die)

In the end its really fun to do that for one player... but its just stupidly easy and overpowered. All you have to be is ready and available when a KR on you can happen and there is no counterplay to it except maybe speed. Speed has its own issues since it cant be achieved on mobile.

Walling fun should be available to more players as well as less powerful and harder, with more counterplay available for the other side.

Edited By: Gerdler on Jan 31st 2020, 5:32:45

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 31st 2020, 6:10:50

I also strongly believe that the outcome of what you do in this game, and any game, should depend on a balance of skill, effort and luck. When it comes to walling its 99% effort, rest luck, because the skill required is so low that almost everyone has it.

Boltar Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 7:10:11

Like I posted on 1a I feel it should be restored but tweaked I'm sure with all the smart people playing. Netters or warmongers can come up with some equation to make both sides happy. Less arguing and more constructive conversations can make this happen

tfm0m0 Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 11:50:02

Originally posted by Gerdler:
I also strongly believe that the outcome of what you do in this game, and any game, should depend on a balance of skill, effort and luck. When it comes to walling its 99% effort, rest luck, because the skill required is so low that almost everyone has it.

Based on your definition I will say 500+ defends would be called skillful walling. In our war last set.. (http://earthgraphs.com/...rt=Show&tab=overview)

11 of 79 (14%) of players had over 500 defends so I would say it's not as easy as you say. For people willing and able to make the effort I think they should be rewarded.

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 15:48:25

if by tweaked people mean totally reversed then sure

restart bonus should start off high and drop

it should be a compensation for being blindsided

not a reward for walling

DruncK Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 16:16:43

Enshula you realize that if that was the case you suicider would benefit the most right?

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 17:25:45

even if you skipped checks for things like

is country
at war
valid retals
war prepped

you could still just do extra hits if you wanted to reduce restart bonus, dh's or ab's or em's

suiciders last set got to keep 50% minimum of goods on market, and usually ~65%, it could easily be 50% maximum and dropping for example

heres a suggestion to reduce one of the needs for restart bonus:

allow restarts to be treated as the previous countries networth for humanitarians purposes

since pang was suggesting showing name of previous countries it may be possible to link networths

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 17:29:13

and the most benefit would be

chem kills with no sdi

although its possible to run sr kills with finishing hits that isnt really a thing these days

unless you mean pre emptive kills on suiciders, then its just a price to pay for pre empting

restart bonus doesnt have to be as high as it was, it can be much lower and still reduce non participation time in wars

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 17:45:42

Originally posted by Pang:
If you weren't going to tweak the numbers at all, this would be a welcome change but also most of us can trace restarts pretty efficiently without something like that.

I think at a minimum restarts (like any fresh midset start) should start with 120(120) turns like they used to in 2025. Starting with 0(0) means youre done and not participating in the war for a week when killed at war. If you start at 120(120), its 1 day oop and then fa. Not forcing anyone out of the war for a week.

As gerdler pointed out, the grabbing changes solved a ton of problems. There's things I'd change slightly about the restart bonus, but if it were reinstated as is, I'd like to see you get 1 restart bonus per set and then be reduced to nothing on 2nd kill.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 20:52:21

I can say without question when someone dies in war without any kind of bonus they go pretty much instant inactive.

tfm0m0 Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 20:54:57

I agree with my best friend Requiem, prior to my current run on EE I went inactive for years after dying with no restart bonus. I'm good with one and done and a reduced bonus but the incentive and reward for walling should exist.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 31st 2020, 20:56:37

Originally posted by tfm0m0:
Originally posted by Gerdler:

Based on your definition I will say 500+ defends would be called skillful walling. In our war last set.. (http://earthgraphs.com/...rt=Show&tab=overview)

11 of 79 (14%) of players had over 500 defends so I would say it's not as easy as you say. For people willing and able to make the effort I think they should be rewarded.

It's generally the same people who wall 500+ defends every reset. And the reason the others die without walling is because they are not available when they get hit. And if they are logging in in 20 seconds but dying in 18 seconds that means they are not available. It's so hit or miss.

I'm absolutely not worried about effort not paying off, and I totally agree with you that it should. And it always will. Not this much tho.
Effort in walling pays off extremely well. Effort in country building just doesn't if you don't also wall. So there isn't even balance between efforts.

I am here argueing to curb the game flaw that I'm abusing set after set to my advantage and your detriment. You are the bug that makes a stain on my windshield and I want to even out the odds, for sport if nothing else. Why do you insist on being so inferior to me?

I guess I would agree that I should have much more success than you if I considered it to be skill that got me that advantage. But alas, my skill is not what gets me that advantage. It's only that I work at a computer and that I got my bed 7 ft from my computer.
If we were to compete in netgaining against each others I would likely win too. But it wouldnt depend 100% on me being able to be online within seconds of my highlights alerting me. It would be a mix of activity and skill that decided the outcome, as it should be.

Either way, I find that you are likely against everything I say just because its comming from me.

So, therefore I assume you think...
1. ..walling has sufficient counterplay right now?
2. ..success in this game should not depend on on a balance of skill, effort and luck?

tfm0m0 Game profile

Jan 31st 2020, 21:21:56

There is plenty I agree with you on but I typically only post to defend the war aspects of the game or troll.

I could care less if you regularly have x amount of defends, there is counter strategy to kill anybody.

Walling definitely takes skill. Take for example Celphi he is the most skillful waller I've seen, poor guy doesn't know how to hit though.

As I said I think the restart bonus should be a one and done, and reduced but defends should still weigh in heavily to the formula.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 21:28:38

The sleeper doesnt sleep.

Gerdler Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jan 31st 2020, 21:49:14

One and done is really good for us netters compared to what it was before as we often had to kill the same person 3-5 times each set and it cost us so much. One and done could also make for some interesting target selection in war as restarts would be targets worth killing again with that mechanic, which I generally like. An increase in complexion of war, which it totally needs.

The issue with it is if the mentality is that you dont restart when you dont have a restart bonus Im sure it will cost the game players. As long as everyone restarts even with no restart bonus that is not an issue, but it seems to me from this current war that they don't.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jan 31st 2020, 21:54:28

Well if you're a premium user it doesn't matter if you log in or not from a cash flow perspective assuming that coins were spent already.

But I suppose one could argue the whales (pricks with more money than they know what to do with it) need to keep playing/paying ($1.66 per month) so that the (cheap bastards who dont support pang) free-to-play (poor broke bums) people will not also quit due to being bored because of a lack of people.