Verified:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 4:44:50

Disclaimer: I've never played in LaF.

There's been a decent amount of talk lately blaming LaF for the decline of the alliance server. The principal reason is usually something about "overfarming". Why is this not the natural order of things? If a country is an untagged, it has deliberately put itself in the weakest position possible on this server. If an alliance is small, it needs to work hard to avoid becoming prey to the larger alliances. Small tags need to make up for their difference in numbers with well run countries, diplomatic skills, and allies.

I'm not sure which side caused LaF's current war. However, if LaF wants to farm smaller alliances in order to try to get the TNW title, it's up to the smaller alliances to stop it.

LaF has a clear goal. There are proven ways of stopping such behavior from happening to your tag. Yet there are a number of warring alliances who have the same plan set after set:

-Do basic political maneuvering so you have more countries than your enemy.
-Do a random, blindside FS on your enemy.
-Do nothing for the rest of the set.

The often unstated goal of these strikes seems to be destruction for its own sake. In some sad cases, the goal is to drive players from the game. Is this not worse than LaF's actions?

A few notes: suiciding is not a way of stopping farming. It's been tried before. It doesn't work. I'm sure that LaF has been suicided on hundreds of times by now. I also don't have a problem with war: I've led as many wars in the past year as anyone else. However, the concept of going to war without a good reason is a bit strange to me.

dustfp Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 7:13:51

Personally, I agree with this.
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:
aim: fudgepuppy6988
http://collab.boxcarhosting.com

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 7:30:34

Haven't seen much of that political maneuvering from "war" clans this set, unless you count LCN.

LAF have and always will farm the weak. Almost a rule of the game.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Jelly

Jul 10th 2010, 7:38:38

Even if LaF all run all explorers, people will find a way to complain.

'They all run all explorers and ruin the military market!!'

'Untags are retaling us now that they aren't getting farmed to the ground every day!!'

'The tech market is fudgesickled cause LaF is controlling it!!'

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 7:47:24

I remember being farmed by Evo once, they were 3x the size of us. We just killed their top member. War or peace left in their capable hands.

Should they choose war, they forfeit netting for the set, and possibly a few sets to come.

Most netting alliances don't swing that way ;-)

Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 7:54:23

People gotta have something to complain about jelly.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 7:55:16

Anyone who posts above me sucks.
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 8:12:03

Through a straw?
-iZarcon
EE Developer

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 8:34:45

or when using a vacuum cleaner;

Forgotten1

Jul 10th 2010, 8:46:32

On topic of Vacuum cleaners,

never fluffing buy a dyson.

it's a scam
Forgotten
ICQ 43083642
MSN

Liet Kynes

Jul 10th 2010, 10:23:02

Slaggypoo, honey dearest, ol' pal, chum,

its because untaggeds are generally viewed as new players, farming them to death is not going to make them want to keep playing. This has been stated numerous times, pay more attention or I'll have to ask you to stay after class for some 1-on-1 time.

Dragonlance Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 12:06:22

the farming of new members gives people a reason to dislike laf again.

the real reason for alot of old players is because they believe that laf's current strong position in the game was only gained through support from cheaters in the distant past.

That's what i think anyway.

LaF's current war started because they wanted it too, as it gave them someone to easily milk land from, they poked us and knew we'd prefer fight than give in, because frankly, it's more fun:p

Pontius Pirate

EE Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 12:37:55

While LaF is not the only clan that farms untaggeds...

Farming untaggeds without fear of any retaliation in my view is not something which helps the game develop. I fully support LaF when they midfeed smaller alliances. At the same time, I don't think the game admins should be making it more difficult for these alliances to retal, both in conventional and unconventional ways (readiness loss for hits against larger countries, threat of organized suicides)

The game would be a lot more exciting if there was more midfeeding, but at the same time you can't chase the small clans away by just telling them to "learn how to retal or war" and making the "make LaF pay" option much weaker.

How about making land:land policies dependent on acres lost instead of acres gained for instance?
Originally posted by Cerberus:

This guy is destroying the U.S. Dollars position as the preferred exchange for international trade. The Chinese Ruan is going to replace it soon, then the U.S. will not have control of the IMF

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 13:16:34

dragonlance i dont think the war was really to gain land, otherwise we would have farmed a lot more, killed a lot less

basically ran a higher risk strat where the goal is getting top 10's but perhaps having some top 100's dying

lcn's on the other hand looked more like what you describe, they had some good average land going on before sol, while lafs average land hasnt been so good this set

PowerOfLight Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 14:56:22

I am playing an untagged farm country for the server this reset. I was equally farmed by all Alliances. Some even more so than LaF.

I never retalled any land grabs. I'll still play next reset q:)

Detmer Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 15:04:41

Originally posted by Slagpit:

There's been a decent amount of talk lately blaming LaF for the decline of the alliance server. The principal reason is usually something about "overfarming". Why is this not the natural order of things? If a country is an untagged, it has deliberately put itself in the weakest position possible on this server.

Or it is a new player who does not know any better. I do not know that most people blame LaF exclusively for the sorry state of farming however.

H4xOr WaNgEr Game profile

Forum Moderator

Jul 10th 2010, 15:11:58

still have not seen any proof of this "support from cheaters" even in the distant past.

Also, the assumption that untagged = new to the game is arbitrary and has no empirical evidence either.

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 15:18:41

Originally posted by Dragonlance:
LaF's current war started because they wanted it too, as it gave them someone to easily milk land from, they poked us and knew we'd prefer fight than give in, because frankly, it's more fun:p

mmm you may want to get your facts straight
Rage ignored our requests to resolve the issue and kept hitting our all x countries
we took the ignoring as telling us to eff off, so we hit you expecting that you were also planning to hit us.
it's not our fault Rage has poor internal workings right now and you guys can't get your
you also asked for a CF, we agreed and then you guys rejected it.... so i don't see LaF doing a lot of stuff wrong here, unless you claim LaF fighting Rage over relevant ingame issues is us "trying to start a war"
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

bore Game profile

Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 15:33:58

i laugh at everyone that thinks untaggeds are new players.

SolidSnake Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 15:51:55

The reason people blame laf is they can't outnetgain laf, and no one has been able to beat laf in a proper 1v1 war in years, even ix with 50% more members would refuse to war despite three offers, and only hit while laf netgained instead.

Detmer Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 15:56:53

Originally posted by bore:

They aren't anymore. All new players were driven from the game long ago.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 16:05:53

Untaggs have no place in this server... The very point of the server is to create Alliances to play together against other Alliances. When you throw someone in that has no political tie to any group of players will be [insert explicit description] until they exist no more!

This is why new people need to start in primary then be recruited into the alliance server (exactly how pang has planned it).

bore Game profile

Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 16:21:23

Originally posted by Detmer:

don't really think new players were driven away.

old players stopped playing and new players stopped coming to the game cause it's a browser game based on text and lots of math in a time of multi-million-player online rpgs with high def graphics.

mazooka Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 16:30:33

yes, thats all true bore, but name another game that you can play while smoking and drinking.

gotta like that!

=)

bore Game profile

Patron

Jul 10th 2010, 16:40:08

hahaha, so that's who's left here. smokers and drinkers.

:D

Soviet Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 16:40:39

Why play one server when you can play 6? New people like to play turn by turn, hour by hour so what do they do? Play alliance and other servers to take up that free time.

Hell makes sense to me, why play 4k turns over 2 months when you can play 20k?
Imaginary Numbers

Detmer Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 16:41:47

Originally posted by Detmer:

don't really think new players were driven away.

old players stopped playing and new players stopped coming to the game cause it's a browser game based on text and lots of math in a time of multi-million-player online rpgs with high def graphics.

Due to the antiquated nature of the game the rate of new player arrival did diminish overtime. There were still new people though. Some played alliance and were farmed out of the server if not the game altogether.

Trippster Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 17:27:17

Originally posted by mazooka:
yes, thats all true bore, but name another game that you can play while smoking and drinking.

gotta like that!

=)

I play another browser based strategy game. It's called Ogame. No resets though. Just new servers opening up from time to time.

I happen to agree that this is alliance server, you should be in an alliance if you don't want to be farmed. However, if those of you who are complaining about untaggs being farmed want it to stop, why don't you try to recruit them into your alliance? If they are new players maybe they'll join. If they are experienced players who are running farm countries just for the hell of it they'll probably let know.
Ignore the smiley.
I have 10 tabs open.
I may or may not be here.

iXenomorph Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 18:04:39

If an alliance is small, it needs to work hard to avoid becoming prey to the larger alliances. Small tags need to make up for their difference in numbers with well run countries, diplomatic skills, and allies.

Haha, this made me lol XD.
"Have you ever noticed how a cat is genuinely sad when the mouse they are playing with dies ???" - Prima

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 18:39:53

Why do players prefer to hit untaggeds (possibly "new players") instead of old players? Have you seen how the old players react to being grabbed? I've been told by alliance FAs that one grab per week is too much, that suiciding is justified after two midfeeds (even when the defending alliance gets their land back), and that "any grab over 1k acres is a topfeed". On other servers, I've seen players complain and threaten war over a single landgrab in FFA, suicide over a double tap in express, and other nonsense.

Let's do some simple accounting. LaF has around 80 members. There are around 20 alliances left. Suppose each LaF member wishes to make one landgrab per day. That doesn't sound unreasonable, right? If LaF doesn't pact anyone and spreads the hits around evenly, that's four landgrabs per tag per day. If LaF considers half of the tags to be their allies, that's eight landgrabs per tag per day.

How many alliance leaders here would be willing to accept four landgrabs per day on their tag? Eight? Is that too much? That's a shame, because all of those LaF countries still have 75-77 turns left per day. Your own sense of entitlement drives untagged players to get "farmed".

Anyway, we're implementing a new system soon so that untagged players can be recruited even more easily and all of them know exactly what it means to play untagged on a server like alliance. Will it become acceptable to farm untaggeds after this system is in the place?

I'm also unsure why no one has commented on the number of players who have left the game because they were randomly killed by bored warring clans. Is that a subject that we don't talk about?

Son Goku Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 18:52:14

Pretty much.

BobbyATA Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 19:18:35

I'm also unsure why no one has commented on the number of players who have left the game because they were randomly killed by bored warring clans. Is that a subject that we don't talk about?

Quote for mother fluffing troof!

Detmer Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 19:49:53

Originally posted by BobbyATA:

Quote for mother fluffing troof!

If you are concerned with war clans arbitrarily FSing netters for no reason I encourage you to make an issue of it, because that is also bad for the game, I absolutely agree.

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 19:52:53

I try to bring that up all the time :p
More players were driven from the game by alliances who either blindsided netters or just kept attacking a target over and over again until they had won the war of attrition.

that was a core problem on 1a, and it showed up again near the end of EC and has been a major problem in EE :(

That's why I always say that it's a problem that all alliances participate in -- be it through their actions or inactions.
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

Marshal Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 19:55:52

let's all merge to 2 alliances, then we would know what kind of set would be ahead.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

locket Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 20:44:33

arrow was killed off like pang/slag said. Amongst others.

And who honestly thinks that the "new" players havnt had 10 offers to join NA already from llaar? ;) That guy spams you if you arent tagged by day 2 lol

dustfp Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 21:58:01

It's harsh, but untaggeds are undoubtedly spammed with recruitment messages, so if they choose not to join an alliance, being farmed is all they have to look forward to.
If anything, there should just be a disclaimer when creating a country on Alliance, that if you do not join a clan, there's a high possibility of being farmed all set. It needs to be made clear to new players that joining a clan is the TOP priority when playing on this server.
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 22:03:56

"Anyway, we're implementing a new system soon so that untagged players can be recruited even more easily and all of them know exactly what it means to play untagged on a server like alliance. "

dustfp Game profile

Jul 10th 2010, 22:18:17

yeah saw that after my post :p
<3
-fudgepuppy
SancTuarY President
msn:

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 10th 2010, 23:36:31

ya, it's a really cool system -- I'm looking forward to seeing it implemented :)
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

locket Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 2:06:50

Cool pang? Is it really cool? Or might "neat" be a better word? Neat sounds better for a game such as this...cool... may be stretching it ;)

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 11th 2010, 2:13:59

the system is cool because it has the ability to be reused if we ever get more than 1 game going :p

I have other ideas besides EE!!!
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff

kemo Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 2:20:45

speakin of which i could use some help marketing my powdered water idea
all praised to ra

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 11th 2010, 2:33:27

powdered water eh?

mix solid H2 (Melting point 14.01 K) with solid O2 (Melting point 54.36 K)

and add flame! go baby go, liquid water! :)

'course 14 K is pretty cold....
Finally did the signature thing.

Detmer Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 6:27:56

Also, aside from popular conception, where has anyone actually said LaF is ruining the game? I don't doubt that it has potentially been stated, but there isn't any evidence or citations of such here.

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 7:19:41

Not gonna bother to read the wall of text....

I can't say I agree with all of LaF's policies. But to say they're ruining the game is downright stupid. Hell, in case folks have forgotten, some very notable LaF'ers are responsible for this game being alive today at all.

dagga Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 7:30:41

Another 'whoa is me' netting thread from an admin.. Pangea either got a hold of your account or put you up to posting this nonsense
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

locket Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 10:10:39

I believe whoa should be used with that spelling there dagga.

And isnt that how everyone does this? NOW3P or pangaea please refer a mildly insulting jibe at dagga for me.

snawdog Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 11:19:55

'woe'
ICQ 364553524
msn

NukEvil Game profile

Jul 11th 2010, 13:30:47

So? Doesn't stop me from trolling them whenever I feel like it...
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.