Verified:

Devestation Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 11:51:13

http://www.abc.net.au/...es/2008/04/15/2217547.htm

Proof that the world won't end on December 21st 2012- because the mayan calender doesn't actually end then.

To all the conspiracy theorists: Epic, epic, epic, epic, epic, gargatuanly epic fail.

General TwizTid

Jul 3rd 2010, 11:56:07

Dam and I was already digging my super hole to live in :(
General TwizTid
NBK HFA - FFA
EEVIL Member - Alliance
MSN:
yahoo:
#nbk on irc.gamesurge.net
http://nbk.boxcarhosting.com
[01:37] <@Gambit> if it has a hole, ill fill it!

snawdog Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 12:07:55

Holy Crap! And i took out that loan with Big Al,and a balloon payment due on the 22nd!..Die Earth Die!
ICQ 364553524
msn

Sifos Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 12:08:03

December 21st 2012: Imag FS ALL other alliances, leading to chaos on the council server as the other alliances try to survive against the soon to become perfect war machine!
Imaginary Numbers
If you're important enough to contact me, you will know how to contact me.
Self appointed emperor of the Order of Bunnies.
The only way to be certain your allies will not betray you is to kill them all!

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 12:24:41

I love how everyone is an expert and has an opinion. If/When the end of days comes, I'll probably be sitting at work, reading these fluffing forums.

The one thing most can agree on is.....
If we make it one hell of a party, the next day will suck. End of the world, or the hangover to end all hangovers :P
Originally posted by NOW3P:
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Fuzzy Logic Game profile

Patron

Jul 3rd 2010, 12:33:11

The world was supposed to end 10 years, 7 months and 2 or 3 days ago.

fluffin' Y2K, how does that work?

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 3rd 2010, 13:44:08

i guarantee you that EE is Y2k compliant!
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 14:11:48

My Chevette wasn't :-(
Religion is like a penis - it's perfectly fine to have one, but you're best served not whipping it out in public and waving it in people's faces.

Fuzzy Logic Game profile

Patron

Jul 3rd 2010, 15:26:04

It was a chevette, it was no big loss :/

but is EE Y2k32 compliant?

AoS Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 16:48:46

The Tangent Universe collapsed 3171 days, 11 hours, 48 minutes, and 30 seconds ago.
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

Viceroy Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 16:51:42

I think the apocalyptic association we've attached to the Mayan calender sprung from the fact that the last reset coincided with Cortez conquering the Aztecs, which was very much a world changing event for the original Americans.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

Patience Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 19:52:55

Dec. 21 is my birthday. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!!!
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

CaptainTenacious Game profile

Jul 3rd 2010, 19:57:14

dammit patty, you're gonna get us all killed

we must kill patty sometime within the next 2 years
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.
Moderation being an imaginary place i go to when i drink.

Devestation Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 2:03:00

when 0.0.0.0.0 rolls around, it'll be hell. But this one will only be 13.0.0.0.0, and I tend to find 13 to have greater than average luck for me. Except for when I actually -was- 13, god damn that was a fluffed up year.

Jul 4th 2010, 2:04:44

lost your virginty to a tub of yogurt eh?
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

Devestation Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 2:58:10

Nah, just nearly killed myself 4 times.

Jul 4th 2010, 4:07:16

man, you totally just killed my attempt at some tastless sarcastic humour. bravo
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

AoS Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 4:31:01

Well, at least he managed to kill SOMETHING.

I keed, I keed.
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 5:57:46

Not that I subscribe to the end of the world crap, but that's a horribly written article with a few glaring omissions.

For example, if you were to try to calculate a date based upon their explanation you'd never get it right. This article leaves the reader thinking that all 5 slots on the Long Count Calandar are base 20... but that's not the case. The central numeral is actually base 18.

There's also good reason to believe that the furthest left numeral only goes up to 13. Essentially, all Mayan calandars consistantly end at the same spot before rolling over. One wouldn't end at 4.0.0 one time and 5.0.0 the next. The current Long Count cycle began the day after the date upon which Mayan's believe the world was finished being made. The time it took for that to occur was 13.0.0.0.0. In otherwords, this calandar last cycled at 13.0.0.0.0... and there's no reason to suspect it would be expected by the Mayans to cycle at a different point now.

There's strong reason to believe that the date in question is, in fact, the end of the Mayan Long Count. However, I'm a skeptic that this has any significance to the world as a whole.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

SethGreen

Jul 4th 2010, 7:33:44

it was actually TWO tubs of strawberry flavoured yoghurt!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 4th 2010, 14:53:21

Sometimes I forget there are people who take these prophecies and conspiracies seriously. It's amusing and painful to read the comments there =/

America needs to teach scepticism. Too many people believe fluffing anything.

Finally did the signature thing.

KeSSie Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 15:32:05

I agree, Qzjul. It isn't like this end of the world thing is as real as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny! I AM a bit skeptical about the whole Tooth Fairy thing though..
EL YAY!

Mr Charcoal Game profile

Jul 4th 2010, 17:13:06

I've always been skeptical of the existence of Chuck Norris.

Devestation Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 5:01:36

Originally posted by Fooglmog:
Not that I subscribe to the end of the world crap, but that's a horribly written article with a few glaring omissions.

For example, if you were to try to calculate a date based upon their explanation you'd never get it right. This article leaves the reader thinking that all 5 slots on the Long Count Calandar are base 20... but that's not the case. The central numeral is actually base 18.

There's also good reason to believe that the furthest left numeral only goes up to 13. Essentially, all Mayan calandars consistantly end at the same spot before rolling over. One wouldn't end at 4.0.0 one time and 5.0.0 the next. The current Long Count cycle began the day after the date upon which Mayan's believe the world was finished being made. The time it took for that to occur was 13.0.0.0.0. In otherwords, this calandar last cycled at 13.0.0.0.0... and there's no reason to suspect it would be expected by the Mayans to cycle at a different point now.

There's strong reason to believe that the date in question is, in fact, the end of the Mayan Long Count. However, I'm a skeptic that this has any significance to the world as a whole.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

It's still fairly unlikely that the calender actually ends then if all the slots being 20 only gets us to 13.0.0.0.0

Originally posted by AoS:
Well, at least he managed to kill SOMETHING.

I keed, I keed.

I R A KILLER

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

Jul 5th 2010, 6:45:55

Here is what I have always said. The Mayans were tired of making damn calendars and said fluff you all...the people in the future can make their own damn calendars after this.

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jul 5th 2010, 15:23:15

Originally posted by Devestation:
Originally posted by Fooglmog:

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

It's still fairly unlikely that the calender actually ends then if all the slots being 20 only gets us to 13.0.0.0.0

That's my point. There's no reason to suspect that it ends at straight 20s. In fact, it's impossible for it to. If the final numeral is base 20, than this calandar could still only go up to 19.19.17.19.19. (In a base system, you go to the next digit when you hit your base number, hence in base 10, 10 doesn't have a numerical representation, it's the first 2 digit number)

Be he conveniently doesn't tell us that one of the numerals already isn't base 20. Instead, he made this statement: "But the Mayans had a counting system based on 20, so most of the 'slots' in their calendar had 20 potential numbers (0 to 19)". This was his only nod to the fact that one of the numerals isn't base 20. But, since he was just talking about how the Mayan's have multiple Calandars, it's easy to gloss over and assume that on this calandar, all the numerals are base 20.

Why is it important that he doesn't bother to tell us this?

Simple. The only reason for thinking the final numeral is base 20 is because the other numerals are. That was his arguement. This becomes a much weaker arguement if he lets us know that the other numerals aren't all base 20. He's trying to hide this.

So, why do we think that this calander is meant to end at 13.0.0.0.0? Because that's when it last ended and there is no known example of a Mayan calander changing its end date.

From all appearances, he's a skeptic who's looking for a way to disprove the 2012 theories. I have no problem with that. My problem is with the fact the he's manipulating the evidence to suit his notions. He's decided that since he *knows* 2012 isn't the end of the world, he's justified in presenting evidence in a way which misleads people as long as it also leads them to the same conclusion as him. Frankly, that's the most damaging thing a scientist can do.

Fortunately, he isn't very good at this game and his arguement falls to pieces as soon as someone who has a basic understanding of the Mayan Calander looks at it. Unfortunately, very few people have bothered to do even a basic level of research on the Mayan Calander... and so get suckered when they read this because people are inclined to trust the first person to tell them about something they don't understand.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 5th 2010, 22:51:41

should it just roll over to 1.0.0.0.0.0 just like we go from 99 to 100 :)

they just didn't want to use more than 5 digits! OMG Y5126 bug!
Finally did the signature thing.

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 1:12:40

Well...guess I'll go back to making tinfoil helmets, just in case, then.

Thunder Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 3:16:46

I want mine with reflectors!
Thunder
ICQ 56183127
MSN

2010 Armchair GMs League Champion
DEFEATER OF MRFORD!
FoCuS'D

NA FA/Senate
Lords

Ninja since born....Awesome Forever!

Unsympathetic Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 4:11:08

qzjul: Speaking of Americans believing anything.. FoxNews is the only profitable news network.

NOW3P Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 5:47:51

you mean "news"?

Kat Game profile

Jul 6th 2010, 19:20:41

this is all assuming that the mayan calendar ending = the end of the world of course...

Fooglmog Game profile

Jul 7th 2010, 3:22:58

Originally posted by qzjul:
should it just roll over to 1.0.0.0.0.0 just like we go from 99 to 100 :)

they just didn't want to use more than 5 digits! OMG Y5126 bug!

I don't think so. Mayan calanders seem to be more designed to keep track of an interval of time defined by an event. It's sort of like, after WWII if we started measuring time in an interval defined by the length of that war. So today we'd be just about 11 of those spans later.

The long count seems to relate to how long it took Earth to be created in Mayan mythology. Of course, you were being facetious so I don't know what I'm responding to this like it's a serious line of thought.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Jul 7th 2010, 7:06:32

this whole mayan thing if bull poop anyways, everyone knows cthulhu will end us all in 10 years
~The Saucy Buccaneer~
I drink in moderation.

Fooglmog Game profile

Jul 8th 2010, 5:20:51

Nah, the real end of the world is 03:14:07 UTC on Janury 19 2038. Every programmer knows that 1.e+31 is the most dangerous second out there.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

iXenomorph Game profile

Jul 8th 2010, 20:12:38

2012 is imag's netting year.

just sayin'
"Have you ever noticed how a cat is genuinely sad when the mouse they are playing with dies ???" - Prima

Devestation Game profile

Jul 9th 2010, 5:36:03

I have been informed of something along programming lines being more dangerous Fooglmog :P