Verified:

Dragonlance Game profile

May 16th 2010, 7:19:05

i noticed someone made an arguement in one of the threads that suiciding on explorers with no defence and not the LGers is entirely unfair...

is it just me? or is it ONLY explorers in alliances with big LGers in them that actually get suicided.

the explorers should control the LGers in their alliances, this would take away the vitriol that causes the suicides in the first place.

instead of going after the suiciders, go after the cause of the suiciding and you will become more successful. The fact is, that punitive demands in pacts wont stop suiciders and suiciders themselves don't usually pay it anyway. If you however eliminate the cause.... surely that is more beneficial?

Just a thought on merely one of the issues from someone not associated or involved in the suiciding arguement on either side:p

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 16th 2010, 7:23:02

it doesn't matter man... people are suiciding over issues from 3 years ago anyways, not because of being farmed today

that's a valid argument, assuming the people suiciding you are the ones you farmed.... but since in most cases they aren't, it's not really a discussion worth having :p

to say "go after what caused them to suicide on you" in most cases means pre-emptively killing alliances who have a tendency to suicide.

The issues that get brought up here aren't about someone being bullied and reaching the end of their chain, it's about someone either deciding "hey, i hated those guys a few years ago... i'll mess them up!" or "i just want to ruin people gaming experience.... I'll mess them up!"

I honestly wish that it was as easy as you try to make it sound, DL, but it's not.

Edited By: Pangaea on May 16th 2010, 7:25:46
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Yamaha Game profile

May 16th 2010, 7:41:13

The problem is that there are many reasons a suicider may suicide.

-Some may just not like the alliance they suicide on (thatguy stated that he didn't like Laf on these forums as one reason he did it)
- Some may just not like the way an alliance is playing the game (Once again, thatguy said he didn't like the land/defense ratio in some Laf countries)

-Some may have grudges that go way back
-Some may have multiple personalities that aren't communicating properly with each other.
-Some are just random assholes that want to ruin the day for other people

The list is endless

Yes you can look out for possible suiciders, but many people live right next door to serial killers as I type this and they may not even know until they're being plastered into the walls in his/her basement someday...
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Yamaha Game profile

May 16th 2010, 8:21:49

Not a bunch Dibs...

There aren't many suiciders, but there are many reasons that a suicider can claim to have done it.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Yamaha Game profile

May 16th 2010, 8:50:27

You're looking for logic in a suicider... good luck finding it.

And to say that LaF never farmed thatguy or his alliance is quite the assumption. Who knows what happened in his past, and honestly who cares? In the present he screwed LaF and PDM.

"Doesn't kiss his ass and bend over for him" - Where did that come from? it was a spontaneous suicide, As far as I know he never requested that his ass be kissed... once again, he snapped... he may have planned it, but he sure as hell didn't tell any of us.

Yes we farmed Laf, and they hit us back. I don't think that really has anything to do with this incident, thatguy didn't even get hurt in that exchange so I doubt it drove him to suicide. Who knows why he did it other than the two reasons he stated which are very vague...

Nobody should be suicided on... it's the shallowest way to play.
But are you implying that nobody should even be LG'd if they are explorers?
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Yamaha Game profile

May 16th 2010, 9:05:42

Because a suicider most likely just wants to hurt the other alliance as much as possible since he will only get one chance at it, hence "suicider". Obviously whoever has the lowest defense to land ratio is going to be his primary target. Unfortunately that is usually the explorers, as they don't specifically draw attention like LG'ers do they tend to fly with less defence. Suiciders don't have long term goals, they just want to cause some waves and then die...

I don't like how little defense some of those countries had, but I surely don't support suiciding. I think it's sad that as a community we all have enabled Laf to have that much tag protection.

Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

Dragonlance Game profile

May 16th 2010, 9:10:08

there really isn't anything you can conceivably do about it though pang.

i mean, what can you do? you can't take away the ability to suicide, as it invariably takes away the last vestige of protection that any small alliance has against Laf/NA/SoL which just drives more people into these alliances, further damaging the variety and standing of the game, which further drives players away.

But how can we stop immature people from ruining the game though? ugh it's a mess.:(

i dunno what to do

locket Game profile

May 16th 2010, 9:17:15

I had an idea I posted in laf site.

May 15, 2010 9:36 AM
Maybe this idea isnt great but it came to me at 2:30 am :P

Perhaps if you put alliance NAP's etc into the actual game mechanics suiciders could be avoided. Let me explain.

Laf is FDP with TIE. We don't want any landgrabs at all on them right? So have it a possibility to limit all land grabs done by members tagged laf to 0 on TIE by some mechanic of the tag holder ingame.
Lets say you dont mind grabbing PDM for example but dont want it overdone. Keep it do 2 hits a day or somesuch? Or for tags you wanted to farm set it to unlimited.

You could also have this stay in effect for 72 hours after leaving a tag. So if someone drops to untagged you are still within your previous tags LG limits.

Suiciders couldnt happen unless they were alliance endorsed and I doubt many clans would allow unlimited grabbing of legit clans anyways. Also this wouldnt take LGing out of the game but would limit you to what your alliance felt appropriate?

Yamaha Game profile

May 16th 2010, 9:26:06

Ok, leaving suiciding completely out of it...

If I see a hugely fat and underdefended country in Laf and I want to do 1 LG on it, even though it's an explorer and hugs tree's all day long. Knowing full well I will be retalled, but I think I may come out ahead in some fashion in the exchange are you saying I shouldn't do it?

The reason I would wish to bother them is because they're a good target for a LG. This all assuming we are unpacted of course. I have no problem with tag protection, I do have a problem with a country relying almost 100% on the tag protection for defence in lieu of military.

It sounds to me like you would prefer that everyone pact to everyone. If so, then this would be an all netting server unless you're specifically in a war.
Paradigm - The Nuthouse
IMP - Haters Gonna Hate

dagga Game profile

May 16th 2010, 11:35:07

So much whining over a handful of landgrabs.

What's going to happen when another one of their netting resets gets ruined because of hotheads like Pangaea.
signatures are stupid.
Months since LaF netgained: 22

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 16th 2010, 15:06:30

dagga, still waiting for that apology for your slander.

let me know when you grow up and stop being a thorn in the side of this game.
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com