Verified:

RaTS FYA Game profile

May 13th 2010, 14:43:29

their would be a roll back?

I haven't played this game since it came back out, but has thier been rollbacks in the past?

And what kind of excuse is that? Could a multi use the same excuse and say hey guys I knew i would get caught eventually?
<~qzjul> it gives you a good introduction to orbital mechanics and a good appreciation for how central delta-V is and thrust to weight ratio
<RaTSFYA>The only thrust to weight ratio I'm worried about involves the women I pick up at bars

Detmer Game profile

May 13th 2010, 14:58:26

There is a precedent of reinstating bug-related losses.

LeftyHa8er Game profile

May 13th 2010, 15:26:15

there is also a precedent of bug abuser getting banned for years so........

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 13th 2010, 16:53:18

ya... I'm just wading into this issue starting today, and will be looking into it more heavily over the weekend.

To answer the question at hand, yes, we have a precedent of reverting the losses sustained by bugs and punishing those who knowingly abused it.

Going along with my recent string of posts where we ask the community to work with us to move the game forward and not make us spend our efforts on modding/maintaining things, this again wreaks of people working against us :(

I implore everyone to NOT abuse bugs.... I personally want to throw the book at people who knowingly do it.

Edited By: Pangaea on May 13th 2010, 17:07:06
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Walding Game profile

May 13th 2010, 17:51:25

good to know.....

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

May 13th 2010, 18:01:15

Pang....

In all honesty, can't they get around any type of ban? I mean, sure they can't use the same IP or Nick....but is there really anything to stop them from coming back and playing?

mdevol Game profile

May 13th 2010, 19:35:02

pang, i understand and accept anything that needs to be done. since i have already offered my apologies and some will take it how they take it, if there is a ban placed on me, can i at least be assured that changes in the game that cause bugs like this take place at the end of resets in the future, not in the middle of kill runs in a war that already heated on both sides?

no excuses because what happened was still wrong. just dont want it to be repeated in the future...
Surely what a man does when he is caught off his guard is the best evidence as to what sort of man he is. - C.S. Lewis

hoop Game profile

May 13th 2010, 20:04:11

I say they get off because of llarr's crying! Seems only fair.

Hobo Game profile

May 13th 2010, 21:18:10

Can quijul please take his experiments elsewhere so we can avoid this fiasco in the future? Especially during a KR.

Seems to be game developer's error as well, not only to the bug abusers.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 13th 2010, 21:38:49

If you wish to play in an environment where you are allowed to cheat and abuse bugs without punishment, there are plenty of other online games out there for you to play.

If you wish to play a game which is not being developed at all, again, there are plenty of other online games out there for you to play.

This was not some academic and pointless experiment like you and others have been claiming. The project needed lots of data from players, so hosting it on a different test server was not an option. It is disheartening to see that people would rather complain about aggressive development in a free online game instead of taking responsibility for their own actions.

If you want to avoid embarrassing your clan in the future, show a little bit of restraint and integrity like 99% of the server did.

Pangaea

Administrator
Game Development

May 13th 2010, 21:47:36

Agreed with Slagpit.

Like I keep saying... the players are our partners in ensuring the game's success, so i'm not happy to see this :p
-=Dave=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires' Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

LeftyHa8er Game profile

May 13th 2010, 21:47:56

slag and pang you guys have said it best ty

Alicia Game profile

May 13th 2010, 21:48:04

http://www.earthempires.com/rules

-Do not exploit bugs:
We are constantly developing and improving our different games, servers and gaming systems, it may happen that through an update or development a bug occurs. If you encounter a bug do not abuse it but help us out by reporting it!!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 14th 2010, 3:44:20

Hobo:

Firstly, there is a Z in my nick (Pronounced ZED for those americans out there ;)

q z j u l :)

the origin of which was me trying to come up with a battle.net account name that wasn't taken and starting with the left upper and lower two keys....

but anyway

Test server: we have test "servers" and Yes it was tested; just for an idea of how many things we do, we're well past our 1000'th revision now and increasing fairly rapidly. I did test this code on the server, but the incident (now that i looked further into it) required more than one attack to be noticed, and i merely tested one; and one of *nearly every other action* in the game. However, when the number of code changes goes up, the probability that a bug will creep through despite your testing also goes up.... it was bound to happen eventually that we'd do something.

We could have a server where the developers test each others code for a few days. But then we probably wouldn't even have finished the game by now =/

Aggressive development is required to meet some of the goals we've had and to implement things the players have asked for.

We do try our best to test everything out, but sometimes - though rarely - things sneak through unnoticed....
Finally did the signature thing.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 14th 2010, 3:45:25

Also, if you expect us to wait for KR's to finish on 5 servers before we implement code... we'd be up all night!

AoS Game profile

May 14th 2010, 4:00:41

Wait...zed...like zombie?

ZOMBIEEEE!

So is it "Kyoo-zed-jool"? Or "Kyoo-zed-jull"?

or am I just stupid?
The dreamer is banished to obscurity.

galleri Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express, Tourney, & FFA

May 14th 2010, 4:20:29

I think it's now Que - zed - jul

Originally i thought it was
que - zee - jul

https://gyazo.com/...b3bb28dddf908cdbcfd162513

Kahuna: Ya you just wrote the fkn equation, not helping me at all. Lol n I hated algebra.

mrford Game profile

May 14th 2010, 4:34:55

i shall call the

Q
Swagger of a Chupacabra

[21:37:01] <&KILLERfluffY> when I was doing FA stuff for sof the person who gave me the longest angry rant was Mr Ford

Dragonlance Game profile

May 14th 2010, 4:54:11

meh, i'm named after a book series i've read 10 pages of 1 of the books only..

ZEN Game profile

EE Patron

May 14th 2010, 14:38:21

Weird....I'm named after an egomaniac with worldly pleasures and no self control...but as a body of people rather then an individual.

snawdog Game profile

May 14th 2010, 16:29:15

Mine was made up on the fly as i lack creativity and the ability to concentrate long.
**for some reason snawdog sounds like it would be Ren & Stimpy's buddy**
ICQ 364553524
msn

Viceroy Game profile

May 14th 2010, 16:43:45

quebec zulu jul

The jul is an acronym for Juliet Uniform Lima, which can be abbreviated as jul.
And, Monsters, do not forget to specify, when time and place shall serve, that I am an ass.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

May 15th 2010, 3:26:13

heh

Jul is the first 3 letters of my name....

Hobo Game profile

May 15th 2010, 5:23:57

lol kk ty qzjul, sorry for misspelling your name, but I've always called you Quizul for the longest time I remember.... Like 3 years now.

However, I think it may be a good idea to implement a test server and invite people to come play with it. People can do crazy things without repercussions and you get to have free guinea pigs. How's that sound :)

danzigrules Game profile

May 15th 2010, 5:26:38

Originally posted by Dragonlance:
meh, i'm named after a book series i've read 10 pages of 1 of the books only..

wth.... read them, those books are the shiznit.

martian Game profile

Game Moderator
Mod Boss

May 16th 2010, 14:55:09

IN soviet russia bugs exploit you?:P
you are all special in the eyes of fluff
(|(|
( ._.) -----)-->
(_(' )(' )

RUN IT IS A KILLER BUNNY!!!