Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Aug 3rd 2019, 16:52:35

Originally posted by sinistril:
Originally posted by DerrickICN:

So our tip culture cannot be corrected until our wealth GINI coefficient is no longer amongst the bottom 10% of world economies (based on population). The easiest way to balance that, of course, is to raise the minimum wage for full time employees to a minimum amount needed for survival.

What do you mean based on population? The US is not in the bottom 10% of any Gini index estimate I've ever seen. If you account for wealth transfers, after tax wages, infrastructure, etc then it is even more clearly not the case. It's the opposite of a robust model of inequality and doesn't really point to a large social issue. For example, Bill Gates neighborhood has a high Gini index. That is not a good indicator of the quality of life in his neighborhood at all. There's obviously social problems everywhere but the Gini index is not a robust enough model to tell you the solutiona required to fix them. Gini. Therefore, raise minimum wage. QED. Is not a great argument. I think you made some much stronger points before that.

I meant nations like Peru and Zimbabwe, which are in the bottom 10% of world economies, are situated alongside the united states. I think the US is like 24% of the world economy, so maybe that was an awkward way to make my point haha. Perhaps also I should have used a more robost model, but i was trying to keep it simple. I'll agree that GINI isn't necessarily a good reason to increase wages, but it sort of illustrates the picture a little bit to put us in a conversation with the very worst economies. Raising the minimum wage to a living wage would put our wealth GINI with the rest of the industrial world, even if that is not the case for a place like Haiti. So to your point, it was an odd way to go about saying what i was trying to say. Haha

Edited By: DerrickICN on Aug 3rd 2019, 17:19:49
Back To Thread
See Original Post
See Subsequent Edit