Verified:

DerrickICN Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 25th 2018, 2:00:17

To your point Soviet, I've lived all over the US and have never once settled in my home town in my adult life. I've constantly been willing to move and have lived in 5 states and a van. I used to work in my degree field as a new music solicitations manager, asst music director, producer and radio personality for an NPR affiliate based out of Ypsilanti, MI. I spent 6 years with the company. I recieved national recognition for the playlist on WEMU's HD-2 channel that I programmed with about 300 roots and Americana albums. My playlist was sent out nationally and published once a month in Downbeat magazine and I was widely considered "the guy" when it came to contemporary Americana/folk.

My compensation was $11/hr after 2 raises. I eventually picked up pizza delivery to supplement my income, and quit working in my field as I fell in love with cooking. The first time I was offered $20/hr to cook was the last day I worked in my field. Although people usually do a 2 year tech cert. for electronic media, I can attest to the fact that 90% of radio jocks supplement their income because it doesn't pay, although some nationally syndicated radio jocks do well.

I loved that job and would have worked it for my entire life if I didn't have to eat. The fact that I was encouraged, not only by my parents, but by guidance councilors/teachers from both my high school and a state-funded nationally accredited university, to go to school for a completely worthless degree is baffling to me. I was young, and I respected my elders like any ole country boy. Unfortunately now I just have the debt and don't trust fluff that gen xers and baby boomers have to say. They're clueless as to how it is now.