Verified:

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 4:36:50

Hi All,

As some of you may have noticed, we've begun the merger of the game with the forums, including a new and improved (AND MOBILE FRIENDLY) look for the forums :)

There's also a very big upgrade in that there is multi-messaging now, so you can sen TO multiple people or CC or BCC people. Also, messages are now threaded, so it's easier to follow what's going on!

Pang did a very nice job making things look slick & work on mobile, and I've been working on making everything work together for the last couple months.

If any errors arise, let me know! If you're having difficulty claiming a forum account, I'll hopefully have a forgot password link up tomorrow or friday.

If you can't message me because you can't get on to the forums, message me on irc! qzjul in #earthempires on irc.earthempires.com (Go to the Chat link above!)

Thanks All :)

- qzjul, pang & the EE Dev Team

Edited By: qzjul on Nov 21st 2013, 5:03:39
See Original Post
Finally did the signature thing.

h2orich Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 4:48:06

Not used to it :P, seems like it takes up alot of more space(i.e have to scroll much more to see additional posts)

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 4:50:06

It does take a bit more space for short posts, yes; not a *ton* more though; I may try to optimize for space a bit in the future, though it looks reasonable to me like this now that i've used it for a while...

vern Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 4:50:09

why ?

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 4:51:35

I have a complaint.

Please make visited links a different colour. I use that as an indicator of whether there is any new replies to a thread.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 4:52:40

Originally posted by vern:
why ?

Ah, right.

The reason is because the game & forums being two separate systems made it difficult to do anything regarding communication between players *in game*. This will allow us a platform to do simple things like unified inboxes (forum/game-cross-server) and permanent clans with user permissions & basic forums....

Also, because the forums were dated, and needed an upgrade. We're looking to make the game & forum more mobile friendly as well.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 4:53:23

Originally posted by Xinhuan:
I have a complaint.

Please make visited links a different colour. I use that as an indicator of whether there is any new replies to a thread.

Oh... sure I can do that... honestly i never noticed that... not sure how i missed that

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 4:59:29

There is supposed to be a grey >> for visited posts, red >> for unvisited using css' :before, but that somehow got lost I guess.... I never noticed either.

Something qz didn't mention but is a HUGE upgrade is that there is a major upgrade to the messaging system for the forums, including multi-recipient messaging and threaded messages. The inbox is also upgraded to follow modern design standards. :)
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:02:01

Originally posted by Pang:
There is supposed to be a grey >> for visited posts, red >> for unvisited using css' :before, but that somehow got lost I guess.... I never noticed either.

Something qz didn't mention but is a HUGE upgrade is that there is a major upgrade to the messaging system for the forums, including multi-recipient messaging and threaded messages. The inbox is also upgraded to follow modern design standards. :)

Oh, fair enough :)

And yea! The multi-messaging is huge! I should stuff that in the post!

crest23 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:03:06

Ok, you guys have to upgrade the game side too then, it now looks dull compared to this totally new awesomeness! Thanks guys!

Now I can't log off the game without it logging me off the forums as well :( I like to log off the game side when I'm done so that I don't accidentally log into my country when I hit an old link.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:05:35

Originally posted by crest23:
Ok, you guys have to upgrade the game side too then, it now looks dull compared to this totally new awesomeness! Thanks guys!

Now I can't log off the game without it logging me off the forums as well :( I like to log off the game side when I'm done so that I don't accidentally log into my country when I hit an old link.

Yea, fair enough, I thought about that and have een trying to figure out what to do about it, I'm not sure entirely what the best solution is yet. Maybe time out links other than the main country page after a couple hours of country inactivity? Could even make something like that a preference. I dunno. I welcome your thoughts ;)

Xinhuan Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:06:26

So I have a forum inbox question.

I notice the inbox message titles are now grouped so the titles are no longer "Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some topic". Are you grouping them by topic title string comparisons, or do you actually have records of which messages are replies to earlier messages? If someone else sent me a completely new message with the topic "Some topic", would it get lumped into that former thread?

crest23 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:11:30

Maybe make every history webpage go to the home page 1st?

Edited By: crest23 on Nov 21st 2013, 14:29:51
The Nigerian Nightmare.

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:11:33

I notice the inbox message titles are now grouped so the titles are no longer "Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some topic". Are you grouping them by topic title string comparisons, or do you actually have records of which messages are replies to earlier messages? If someone else sent me a completely new message with the topic "Some topic", would it get lumped into that former thread?

threading is done via the message chain, not through title lookup. it's all linked via ids
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:14:47

We *now* have records; for previous messages I did it by people involved (recipient & sender) and then topic comparison or ----Original Message--- detection, and i ran a script to build all the thread/reply ids

For the most part it worked nicely, though i noticed somebody sent me messages like a year apart simply entitled "qz" which got lumped together, but other than that sort of case, i think it worked fairly nicely.

Also i just search & replace RE: RE: with RE: on the topic if it's there heh; but it should show the *root* messages title, in theory....

bstrong86 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:15:13

I might be over looking a few things..

User List: i dont see the A-Z

Just a complete list, would be rather difficult to sift to page 50 to find the one you want.

Online user: i cant locate.

Those might not be a huge deal, but i do use them quite regularly.
The Death Knights

XI

bstrong86 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:19:51

Aww no more post counts.

No more last user posted on the main forum page :/

When i clicked..options i think it was i got this

' This is the status page for preferences'

Then nothing was actually there
The Death Knights

XI

BobOnThis Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:22:00

I just linked the forum account I use primarily (Cornfed) and swapped to that account, it displayed Cornfed in the upper right.

Posted on this thread: http://www.earthempires.com/...type-help-windows-7-27378
And it displayed the poster as the account I only had been using for bonuses (Bobonthis).

Edit: And again it shows Bobonthis here. If I bring up the menu in the upper right, under Switch to Handle, it lists Bobonthis.

Edit #2: If you look at the forum overview, it says last poster for the threads (the linked one and this one) as Cornfed.

Edited By: BobOnThis on Nov 21st 2013, 5:27:17
See Original Post

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:26:25

Originally posted by BobOnThis:
I just linked the forum account I use primarily (Cornfed) and swapped to that account, it displayed Cornfed in the upper right.

Posted on this thread: http://www.earthempires.com/...type-help-windows-7-27378
And it displayed the poster as the account I only had been using for bonuses (Bobonthis).

Edit: And again it shows Bobonthis here. If I bring up the menu in the upper right, under Switch to Handle, it lists Bobonthis.

Does it *display* Cornfed? Let me look at that, it's been working for me at least... maybe I need to clear the cache somewhere... it should be doing that though...

Red X Game profile

Game Moderator
Primary, Express & Team

Nov 21st 2013, 5:28:42

Cell phone use is much more enjoyable
My attitude is that of a Hulk smash
Mixed with Tony Montana snortin' bags of his coke stash
http://nbkffa.ghqnet.com

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:29:31

Originally posted by bstrong86:
I might be over looking a few things..
User List: i dont see the A-Z

Just a complete list, would be rather difficult to sift to page 50 to find the one you want.

Online user: i cant locate.

Userlist has A-Z; look again? It's in the second bar

Online User isn't built yet.

Aww no more post counts.

No more last user posted on the main forum page :/

When i clicked..options i think it was i got this

' This is the status page for preferences'

Then nothing was actually there

Post counts are there! look on the side! it says 8044 under me right now...
Last poster is there, though it hides at really small widths; PM me if you can't find it?

Preferences & Bio/Profile aren't built yet, I needed to make things live before I broke too much stuff heh

bstrong86 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:30:55

I screened shot a shot of my inbox, the dates are cut off, even on the complete zoomed out view.

I decided to not post a screen shot though. :) for obvious reasons
The Death Knights

XI

bstrong86 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:35:06

nope no post counts.

Nope no A-Z

I see the area...it says letters

But it is un clickable
The Death Knights

XI

bstrong86 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 5:37:06

Hrmmm, i see what you mean about the widths.. i have to turn my tablet side ways, to see the post counts..last posters..ughh
The Death Knights

XI

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 5:37:46

nope no post counts.

Nope no A-Z

I see the area...it says letters

But it is un clickable

Oh, I forgot to make a mobile-version for the A-Z stuff; I'll do that ... tomorrow....

Cornfed

Nov 21st 2013, 6:10:22

Test

Cornfed

Nov 21st 2013, 6:10:45

Logging out and back in fixes what I was saying.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 6:15:55

Originally posted by Cornfed:
Logging out and back in fixes what I was saying.

Excellent; I added some code to check for a messed up case like that on login :)

PG Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 7:55:57

Looks good guys, you just need to get used to it :)
RIVAL
MSN/E-mail:
EE inside message

http://i.imgur.com/BFg5Y.jpg

PG Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 7:59:10

okay 1 thing, dont know if its been posted.

thread names as i view them when i look at all the thread on alliance board

ex.
Evo aren't very nice. --> open the post and its named " Evo aren't very nice. "

it do . or )

or stuff like this
RIVAL
MSN/E-mail:
EE inside message

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Nov 21st 2013, 8:13:14

I see "Evo aren't very nice."

Is that not what you meant?

h2orich Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 9:07:15

Its like gmail and outlook now.

PG Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 10:33:55

its the topic on the board, when i look at a post i dont see " Evo aren't very nice. " i see " Evo aren't very nice&period "

RIVAL
MSN/E-mail:
EE inside message

elvesrus

Nov 21st 2013, 11:48:25

thanks for putting server talk higher. never made sense to me that the most used forums were at the bottom.
Originally posted by crest23:
Elves is a douche on every server.

Marshal Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 12:58:05

otherwise ok but names are tad too big.

did sig txt limit rise or not?
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Erian Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 13:00:30

Nice job! Looks good :)

blid

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:05:31

I'll have to get used to this. Only thing I can say now is something weird that happened, it told me I had 5 unread PMs and when I opened my inbox they were all old PMs that I'd read before.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:11:08

Also what's the plan re: merging the game and forums? In-game messages will go to PM boxes? Is that happening at a later time?
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:16:16

How come the name and post count is above each post and not to the side? I don't know if I like that much :s It takes up more vertical room which I don't personally care for.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:18:57

It's not for me, I think you're browsing in the mobile version?

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:21:38

No I'm on Google Chrome. Let me try in IE or something.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:26:34

Yeah on I.E. it looks a million times better! Can we get support for the forums in google chrome?

http://www.filedropper.com/compare_1

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 13:27:21

The link is a .png screen shot of the two in case you need to see what im talking about.

Juusto Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 14:24:16

i dont want to link my game and forum accounts... :(
FFA: PANLV
MSN:

ingle Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 16:07:58

Originally posted by Requiem:
Yeah on I.E. it looks a million times better! Can we get support for the forums in google chrome?

http://www.filedropper.com/compare_1

I agree. The forums looks like crap in Chrome/Firefox. Who the hell still uses IE anyways except for certain places at work??

http://en.wikipedia.org/...age_share_of_web_browsers

crest23 Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 16:39:45

The mobile site is discontinued? Can't play on my tablet now. I like the ability to choose either on my tablet.
The Nigerian Nightmare.

blid

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 16:54:48

It looks the same with/without IE for me so this is not something that affects everyone the same way. I still think it may be rolling you over into the mobile display like qz said it could, except that for some reason IE is avoiding that for you.

For me the biggest issue is what Xinhuan said, there's no different link coloring for threads that have been already read and have no new posts.

I guess I also don't really think each post needs to be a distinct bubble but whatever, that's just an aesthetic preference, not a functional one.

Serpentor Game profile

Nov 21st 2013, 17:19:47

Looks good on the mobile.
The EEVIL Empire

blid

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 17:22:25

I think the line break takes a bit too much space.

Shouldn't there be slightly less empty space between the above line and this one?

Does anyone have any screen caps of the old forum? I already forgot what it looked like.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Nov 21st 2013, 18:06:45

I'm fixed!