Verified:

Watertowers

Jul 20th 2013, 17:26:51

Anyone who plays chess knows that one of the biggest criticism of the game is that players spend too much time memorizing the opening. As a result, a few variants such as Capablanca Chess or Chess960 was developed to add excitement to the game. It could be said that most Champions play some chess variant at least part of the time. (In fact, Capablanca chess was invented by Jose Capablanca and Chess960 by Bobby Fischer.)

If something similar were done to earth, interest would undoubtedly be revived.

-New building types such as power plant and hospital are added and removed periodically. Interesting new effects such as new market dynamics, new spy ops, and attacks.
-Game length changed every time for at least one server. Too many people are basing their games on reset length. If FFA ranged every time from 2 to 4 months, there would be more ways to play. More uncertainty.
-Attack gains would sometimes be based on amount of forces sent. This would force people to have some military in FFA.
-New units added. For example, Kamikaze which all die in an attack, but cost only $40 and have the power of jets.

All these factors change randomly in each reset, much how the pieces change position in Chess960.

Makinso Game profile

Jul 20th 2013, 20:06:16

Fun random units every set can make things interesting.

Like introduce a new unit in set A like the kamikaze one, then the set after it dissapears and a new things comes in (like a fresh building)

Something that makes players have to adapt consistently.

braden Game profile

Jul 21st 2013, 20:40:15

some sort of adapting as they suggest, from reset to reset, would be a great deal of fun, without having entirely to relearn the game.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jul 21st 2013, 20:47:35

h2orich Game profile

Jul 22nd 2013, 3:06:01

Too much coding to do. Even with the same mechanics each set, we still have bugs here and there. Imagine with these new changes every set... before one problem solves, another will arise.

blid

EE Patron

Jul 22nd 2013, 4:48:06

It's not a lot of coding to add a unit or something. There's almost no coding involved. Maybe a lot of balance involved, but let the smart player find the inbalances and profit. I'm thinking here btw of a new server to replace Team where all kinds of crazy stuff is introduced and attempted.
Originally posted by Mr. Titanium:
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

h2orich Game profile

Jul 22nd 2013, 9:20:02

I think its better to dedicate a server for new changes and interesting ideas and let it run for a few sets before implementing into more serious servers.

Xinhuan Game profile

Jul 22nd 2013, 11:45:02

Originally posted by blid:
It's not a lot of coding to add a unit or something. There's almost no coding involved. Maybe a lot of balance involved, but let the smart player find the inbalances and profit. I'm thinking here btw of a new server to replace Team where all kinds of crazy stuff is introduced and attempted.

Actually it IS a lot of coding to add a new unit. There is new fields to save in spy ops, code needs to be updated for every page like Military, Advisor, Market.

Text descriptions need to be updated for every attack on unit losses. Private Market needs updates and stuff. Formulas for calculating NW needs updating, and other things that rely on it, etc.

All this is not easy, and tedious on top of that.

blid

EE Patron

Jul 22nd 2013, 14:19:04

Hmmmm
Watch your mouth boy, I have never been accused of cheating on any server nor deleted before you just did right there.

blid

EE Patron

Jul 22nd 2013, 14:19:55

I guess I was thinking you add the unit and it will display on its own. That's possible I'd wager but I guess it's probably not how the game is set up.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Jul 23rd 2013, 0:59:50

Originally posted by blid:
I guess I was thinking you add the unit and it will display on its own. That's possible I'd wager but I guess it's probably not how the game is set up.

heh so you wanted us to build a game-building-CMS not just a game? hehe

As xinhuan says, it's a ton of work to do something like that; balance fixes, and slight perturbations are easier.

even *DELETING* a unit would take a ton of work =/
Finally did the signature thing.

masterfu Game profile

Jul 29th 2013, 11:28:41

yea

Stryke Game profile

Aug 6th 2013, 4:11:27

Here's one... Stop fixing fluff that isn't broken!
SOTA (President/HFA) • Elders • Darkness
http://sota.ghqnet.com

a.k.a. NightShade
Originally posted by kemo:
this dudes either a great troll or a seriously stupid fluff. the kind that takes the pepsi challenge and chooses jiff