Verified:

Brigg Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 17:22:45

Hi all.

I've been on and off of this game since the days of Earth 2025, and have recently been durdling around trying different forms of gameplay. During this time, I've been reading the forums and seeing the kind of things that sour the game. Suiciders, unprovoked excessive attacking, missile dumping just because, and other such things that can randomly ruin someone's set without reason or provocation.

Today, I would like to present an Idea I've been hashing out in order to help players avoid these shenanigans, while at the same time, having another aspect of running a country that mirrors that of the real world: Diplomats and Diplomacy.

Reasonably, one would state that Diplomacy is the opposite of Warfare. Thus, Diplomacy would be a technology that "Researches and applies new methods of positive interactions with other countries". At the start of the game, the technology would provide a 0.200% chance of completely defending against an enemy attack, "talking them" out of attacking, and treating it as though the attacking country did not succeed. However, no military, are lost on either side, the turns spent attacking are still spent, and the defending country loses ~1% of food, money, or oil as sort of an incentive to call off the troops. This can also stave off missile strikes, treating it as though the attacking country never launched the missile.

Obviously, investing tech points into Diplomacy would increase the % chance of this occurring.

In addition to this, the percentage chance of blocking via Diplomacy is also a percentage chance of producing a Diplomat every turn, in the same way Warfare offers the chance to produce a missile.

To use a Diplomat, you choose a country to target to send the Diplomat to. The Diplomat then negotiates with the country's leaders in an attempt to prevent your country from being targeted by attacks. If successful, the target country can not take any hostile actions against your country for 72 hours. You can choose to send the Diplomat with Food, Money, or Oil to "Sweeten the deal", increasing your chances of success.

You can not send a Diplomat to any country you have attacked or sent harmful spy ops to. When targeted by Diplomatic negotiations, your country defends with 10x its Warfare % chance.

So the formula for Diplomatic negotiations would look something like:

20 + [(Your % Diplomacy) x 20] + (additional percentage based on Bribe) - [(Target's % Warfare) x 10] = % chance of Diplomatic negotiation success. (Or something like this, still tweaking)

I'm still fine-tuning the finer points, but I figured I'd prsent this now to see what the community thinks about it.
Check out my Novel Before they ban it!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086WXJVKR

Marshal Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 19:10:23

not bad but quite abusable.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Brigg Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 19:59:26

The way it's drafted now, it might be. What would you suggest to tweak this idea?

sinistril Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 20:03:18

Brinkmanship tech - up to 5% war declaration fails and the person trying to declare war can't declare war on anyone for 2 days
If you give a man some fire, he'll be warm for awhile. If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Marshal Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 20:25:21

limit amount of stuff offerings include and also limit convoys 1 per country (receiver not sender).

brinkmanship wouild be usable on soloservers only
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

Brigg Game profile

Sep 10th 2017, 21:26:45

Sinistril, That seems a bit harsh to bar them from declaring war on ANYONE.

Marshal, Limiting offerings sounds good. Just food or cash?
Also, limiting Diplomatic Negotiations to 1 per country at a time seems good, too. This way, players that need to grab aren't totally shut out by 20-30 potential targets.

The way I initially envisioned this:

1. I'm lookng through the news.
2. I see that the country of FloobyDooby (#453738) is getting particularly "Grabby"
3. Send Diplomat to keep him from poking me for land.
4. Continue to play worry-free of FloobyDooby
5. Alternatively, hope my tech in diplomacy is enough to stave off attack.

Know what, maybe limit successful Diplomatic Negotiations to 3 per country, in case 3 people feel the need to stave off FloobyDooby.

The name "Brinkmanship" seems a little off. Maybe it's just me.