Verified:

Ivan Game profile

Dec 17th 2010, 11:47:25

Please fix random country numbers in FFA already, this fluff with killing yer entire strings is the most retarded thing ever

Pain Game profile

Dec 17th 2010, 17:57:51

no
Your mother is a nice woman

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 17th 2010, 19:11:09

make them one at a time if you're concerned?

The number system is made in such a way that you will never get a conflicting number; if we go to random numbers then it will be easy (yes you can check before you create, but what if two happen at the same time, bam then you have weirdness

plus then we could be missing numbers

Howabout we give your countries random numbers from (the highest number currently in the game) to (the highest number currently in the game) + (the number of countries you're creating)
Finally did the signature thing.

NOW3P Game profile

Dec 17th 2010, 19:50:34

someone musta signed into a dead string this morning....

Ivan Game profile

Dec 18th 2010, 15:23:10

Anything is better then this

and no i didnt now3p mine actually arent really in a string

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2010, 18:21:25

we had this debate before....

anyone with access to a scores feed can determine when countries were made through a quick query and determine which countries belong to the same person, based on the first ranks report they were included in.

that sounds like a really fringe usecase to handle, and would require WAY more time invested than it's likely worth, and even then, it likely won't help against skilled or organized opponents -- the kinds who COULD kill your whole set of countries before you log in.

i like the sentiment, but I don't see a valid way to actually solve the problem, unless we shut off the scores feed for FFA.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Fooglmog Game profile

Dec 18th 2010, 19:11:52

I don't necessarily believe it's worth the time, but I have a solution that would work.

When countries are registered, don't create the countries immediately. Store all the registry information in a temporary table. Then, when the restart is about to begin, run a script that actually creates the countries in-game in a random order using the information in the temporary table.

If you create your countries after the reset starts, this won't solve the problem, but it fixes it for the majority of players.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Pain Game profile

Dec 18th 2010, 19:31:23

or we could just leave it like it is. when people are able to figure out which clan untagged restarts belong to do you REALLY think random numbers are gonna make fluff all of a diff?

Pang Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 18th 2010, 22:24:30

That's a really good solution Foog.... that would be the one I would recommend we do if we were to implement a system like this.
-=Pang=-
Earth Empires Staff
pangaea [at] earthempires [dot] com

Boxcar - Earth Empires Clan & Alliance Hosting
http://www.boxcarhosting.com

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Dec 19th 2010, 6:07:44

I actually had a similar idea to Fooglmog's implementation a few days ago, so I'd go with that too. Ignoring the coding difficulties it could cause, how would you disguise your countries while tagging up? Even if they have random country numbers and indistinguishable creation times, they will likely all tag up over the same five minutes.

DM Game profile

Patron

Dec 19th 2010, 6:08:20

I say you just tie the game profile in with the ranks feed for Ivan's countries only so it shows his name next to his country numbers. Would make it easier.

Ozzite Game profile

Dec 19th 2010, 6:33:01

Originally posted by Slagpit:
I actually had a similar idea to Fooglmog's implementation a few days ago, so I'd go with that too. Ignoring the coding difficulties it could cause, how would you disguise your countries while tagging up? Even if they have random country numbers and indistinguishable creation times, they will likely all tag up over the same five minutes.

I think this whole thing is unnecessary, but you could allow clans to be made by some other interface prior to reset start and you could join clans before the countries were actually created and they would start tagged. I still think there will probably be another kink somewhere though.

When people are at war and dying, they will complain about anything. This really isn't much of a problem.
Ah, mercury. Sweetest of the transition metals.

Pain Game profile

Dec 19th 2010, 20:35:14

its just stupid IMO. if you do implement it make sure you leave an option to be able to have consecutive numbers. i like knowing the numbers to all the countries in my string. if they were all randomized id never be able to remember them all in my head.