Verified:

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:01:51

Just wanted the forums to match the rest of the site. Any suggestions/problems, post them on the Bugs & Suggestions board.

I expect to have forgotten to update at least 1 page, and I expect mobile users to have at least 1 problem with the new template. So I'm prepared for the laws of physics and the rules of HTML to either be severely bent or shattered, at my expense.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Crippler ICD Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:03:22

2 much red *claws eyes*
Crippler
FoCuS
<--MSN
CripplerTD

[14:26] <enshula> i cant believe im going to say this
[14:26] <enshula> crippler is giving us correct netting advice

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:27:12

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the red at all. I think that blue would be much more pleasing to the eye and work with the rest of the site just as nicely.

Could you also add a:visited{} back into the css document with a slightly different colour from a{}... it helps to quickly see where new posts have been made.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Edited By: Fooglmog on Oct 30th 2010, 3:31:55
See Original Post

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:37:23

K, you wanted blue. Enjoy.
I am a troll. Everything I say must be assumed to be said solely to provoke an exaggerated reaction to the current topic. I fully intend to bring absolutely no substance to any discussion, ongoing or otherwise. Conversing with me is pointless.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:42:35

Thanks, I think that's much nicer than the red :)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Detmer Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:46:08

ugh, red was so much better =P

TAN Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:46:49

looks nice!

perhaps allow user-preference skins/color scheme?
FREEEEEDOM!!!

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:52:53

Fooglmog: I added that, but it seems to be doing nothing.

TAN: I might try to add that sometime in the future.

Silent Sentinel Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 3:54:43

Not to be a negative nancy, but I think the old scheme on the forums were spot on, even though they didn't match the game theme.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 4:01:24

It's working for me Nuke. Thanks a lot :)

Forum titles would probably look better in a grey similar to the #CCCCCC that you have most of the text as... the light blue isn't very appealing there in my opinion.

I like the design though :)

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 4:07:08

Don't think the forum titles really matter, being they're all gonna turn blue anyways when you visit their links :P

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 4:14:44

Yeah, methinks that a user preference would be the best ;)

enshula Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 4:20:48

the blue names on blue background on the left hand side is pretty low contrast

same with the blue on black/red background

Shinigami Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 4:51:49

I agree with allowing users to change their template choice as the ultimate goal... but I'm digging the blue myself.

NOW3P Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 5:06:34

This new color scheme looks like something right outta the late 90's.

Templates would be nice, but this one is just kinda painful on the eyes with all that red in the background image.

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 5:46:43

Maybe you should actually suggest a colour scheme then?

The red on red was awful... so I suggested blue, which is better. What would you prefer to this?

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Slagpit Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 30th 2010, 5:51:39

I'm lost and I have no idea what's going on.

dantzig Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 6:39:57

The colors are burning my retinas!
FoG

Tertius Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 7:05:55

The blue makes it pretty difficult for me, but I didn't see the red. Can't wait for there to be user preferences, I think I'll be going back to the good ole gray asap.

Dragonlance Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 13:27:47

the blue is disgusting.

it hurts my eyes.

the earlier red one did aswell.

the old forums always worked well as easy to read due to the variance in colours.

Though to be honest, it could just be because i have a smashing headache and are massively hungover that that is actually the reason my eyes hurt.. ;-)

ZIP Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 14:32:23

I do like the front page / but when you are in a thread then yeah not so good , but the black background is better then the red.

you are not going to please everyone
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

Ruthie

Oct 30th 2010, 17:21:00

I'll be back when you change this blue color.

I seriously cant stand trying to read the threads.
~Ruthless~
Ragnaroks EEVIL Lady

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 30th 2010, 17:47:49

o.O
the red was better

also something happened to the font...
Finally did the signature thing.

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 30th 2010, 17:48:23

but i think we should go back to the old colours 'till we can test more o.O

Marshal Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 18:03:00

WE PLAY EARTH NOT UTOPIA!!!

So yes I don't like this.
Patience: Yep, I'm with ELK and Marshal.

ELKronos: Patty is more hairy.

Gallery: K at least I am to my expectations now.

LadyGrizz boobies is fine

NOW3P: Morwen is a much harsher mistress than boredom....

TAN Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 18:38:55

don't let the haters discourage you nuke. just try to work faster on user-preference color schemes to satisfy the detractors.

i prefer this template much more (i'm digging the blue).

the old one looked ugly.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

NukEvil Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 18:59:08

Well, I looked at the blue on the only CRT monitor I had in the house, and it was horrible.

So now, you have your precious grey/black template back.

P.S. Adding user preferences to colors means adding a new table to the db, learning how to make colors selectable in PHP, and writing an add-on to the the account edit page that will allow you to select your color scheme. So it's going to take a while.

Edited By: NukEvil on Oct 30th 2010, 19:01:45
See Original Post

TAN Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 18:59:34

noooooooooooo!

damn j00 nuke! go back to the blue!
FREEEEEDOM!!!

Marshal Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 19:01:49

I have good 19 inch CRT-monitor (Syncmaster 959NF) and it was horrible.

ZIP Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 19:07:31

mine is still blue
fluff your 300 Spartans fool - i have 32 of the biggest fluffed mother fluffers made of titanium !!
A brigade from Blackstreetboyz (#91) has invaded your lands! Your defenses held against the invaders and forced them away! Your military lost:1 Troops

TAN Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 19:08:44

clear your cache.
FREEEEEDOM!!!

qzjul Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 30th 2010, 19:15:30

Ctrl-R

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 20:00:47

Originally posted by NukEvil:
P.S. Adding user preferences to colors means adding a new table to the db, learning how to make colors selectable in PHP, and writing an add-on to the the account edit page that will allow you to select your color scheme. So it's going to take a while.

That sounds like an hour's work to me Nuke.

For each CSS ID/Class that you want variable, just add a column into the main user list table in the DB.

When the use logs in, call that information and store it in cookies (or whatever the forum uses to store UserNames).

Then, move the CSS that deals with those variables out of the external sheet and have it all internal as part of the forum header.

Use echo statements to call each CSS declaration but replace the actual colour with $_COOKIE["var"] (or $_SESSION["var"] if this site uses session).

Then all you have to do is add the fields to preferences and set up a simple update query to allow users to modify them.

Hell, that's less than an hour's work.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 20:07:35

Why is there little dash lines everywhere? Why can't the boards be clean? WTH quit messing wth something that isn't broke!

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 20:12:38

They're tears Requiem, from all the people who were crying over NukEvil doing something to try and make the forums better.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 20:16:17

My user experience was just fine w/o the dash marks :)

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 30th 2010, 20:58:44

If you bother read the thread (or one of the four others on the topic), you'll see that he changed the entire colour scheme. The dash marks actually made sense for the effect he was going for -- but the colours themselves were less than appealing on various monitor settings so they got changed back. In the process, he didn't eliminate the dash marks.

I assume you didn't get online to see the changes when they were in effect, but you coming in here and moaning about the dashes seems (to me) to be incredibly petty. I'd think differently if you'd politely inquired as to why they're there and put forward the opinion that they offer no improvement, but instead you made a belligerent post that gives all the appearances of you being pissed off over an extremely minor alteration to the forum.

Remember, everyone who works on this game does so on a volunteer basis. Every change that they make is because they think it will offer some improvement. If you disagree, say so, but don't be a fluff-wad about it... especially not before you find out what's going on.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Requiem Game profile

EE Patron

Oct 30th 2010, 23:13:33

Regardless of how you perceive my comments the dashes still look like crap.

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 30th 2010, 23:39:36

foog, nuke's method of another table in the tb is probably good. Especially if the css is stored there as well. adding a new scheme wouldn't require changing any php if written right.

Basically need 1 new column in user prefs table for css id. and have a default id. then make another table with columns for each css rule, a primary id, and maybe a name/desc. then your forum css is called from maybe css.php?id=USERSPREFERENCE wouldnt where css.php output all those columns in discernable css(making sure to send the right header). Then when the forum header file runs, that id= would be set by the user's pref css id. user account page would just have a select box for each different option.

Making it a bit more advanced, you could even have the site sort out cache control and force reload of css only if the css has changed since the last time it loaded, thus increasing load time and also making it so users didn't have to clear cache to see new changes.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Fooglmog Game profile

Oct 31st 2010, 1:33:04

Yep, that's a good way to do schemes Zarcon. I wasn't sure if he wanted schemes or fully customizable colours based on what he said... but since my point was that it's fairly easy, I decided the point was better made by describing how simply the more complicated of the two would be to put together.

If we just want to design a half-dozen colour schemes from which users can pick, do what Zarcon said.

PS. I probably would have separated the preferences out into a separate table, and joined them when needed... but that's purely aesthetics on my part. I like pretty un-bloated sql tables.

-Fooglmog
Guy with no clue.

Patience Game profile

Oct 31st 2010, 5:44:59

YAY! I'm back! Despite dumping cookies and clearing my cache multiple times, and despite getting the 'login successful' message about a gazillion times, I've been unable to post until now. lol

I did get a chance to see both the red and blue, and I kinda liked both. So :p~~~~~~ to all you whiners. Nice work, NukE. Don't let the haters get you down.
I cannot see your signature - so if it's witty, put it in a post instead! :p

archaic: Patty, if it was you wearing it, I'd consider a fuzzy pink pig suit to be lingerie. Patty makes pork rock.

LittleItaly Game profile

Game Moderator
Alliance & FFA

Oct 31st 2010, 6:18:36

i must have missed the red and blue thing... right now it looks awesome
LittleItaly
SOL Vet
-Discord: LittleItaly#2905
-IRC: irc.scourge.se #sol
-Apply today @ http://sol.ghqnet.com for Alliance

iZarcon Game profile

Administrator
Game Development

Oct 31st 2010, 8:00:36

i'm assuming preferences are all loaded at once, fooglmog, so it's perfectly logical to load it from the same table. Making a new table for each preference would be a waste of time. Especially when most the peferences are just boolean anyway.
-iZarcon
EE Developer

http://www.letskillstuff.org

Marshal Game profile

Oct 31st 2010, 18:32:51

Originally posted by Patience:

I did get a chance to see both the red and blue, and I kinda liked both. So :p~~~~~~ to all you whiners.

UTOPIAN-LOVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TORCH HER!!!!!!!!!!!!

;P

Dark TwizTid

Patron

Nov 2nd 2010, 4:05:17

Honestly, love the dedication and work put into the game, but these forums aren't really my cup of tea, i also cannot view the forums on my blackberry anymore